High Tide Aquatics

My new little frag buddy.

Bruce Spiegelman

Sponsorship, Public Relations
BOD
IMG_0899.jpg
IMG_0895.jpg

Oh wow! Does he hop around or swim? Where does he sleep? Can you make a video of him eating?

It's hard to describe his movements. It's not as much a swim as a desperate shaking of hos whole body trying to reach a place where he can use his fins to wedge himself in. He is presently sleeping in either a little rock cave that put in the frag tank or a 1: PVC pipe section. As to eating -- umm no. Because I've never seen him eat.

Here's the whole story. He's been in the tank over a month. When I first received him from DD he was alive, but floating on the top of the bag. Turned out he had a swim bladder issue. I placed him in a acclimation box in the frag tank where he floated for over a week while I hoped he'd heal. Since i knew he came from Diver's Den, and with no evidence of bacterial or parasitic infection, I was assuming the swim bladder issue might be caused by stress and a change in environment especially since the box came in fairly cold. After about a week I saw that he kept trying to swim down and eventually was wedging himself in the bottom corner of the acclimation box. During all of this time he would not eat.

After a few more days he still wasn't swimming or perching, but kept trying to reach the bottom. I figured his only shot was literally to sink or swim, so I let him out in the frag tank. With difficulty he made his way to the bottom and wedged himself in. I saw him most of that day, but the next day he was just gone. I looked everywhere in a small frag tank and he was no where to be seen. I looked for the next few days but he had vanished.

A month went by and I never saw him. Then three or four days ago I decided I'd re-do the frag tank after using the PAR meter. I took out the frag rack altogether. A day later I saw him again for the first time! No clue what, or if he ate during that month. I now take a little tube and drop a few Mysis every day in front of him, but he mostly seems to ignore them. Perhaps he just has never eaten since I got him. He doesn't move much and presumably doesn't burn much energy. I know a lot of people only feed theirs once or twice a week anyway. I'll keep trying, but maybe he's finding stuff during the night as well. I'm hoping.

Did DD specifically say what they had him eating? Mostly live prey unless taught otherwise, right?

They listed it as frozen too. However, I just got him to eat. I had tried ghost shrimp before with no luck but he grabbed one today. So I guess this means I need to set up a little 2-3 gallon FW tank for shrimp.

Reactions: JVU
Back