got ethical husbandry?

my sps looks sad

:( I got a few starter hardy frags from Tuberider at the dec meeting. One is a pretty stag with blue tips, its not happy. The tip seemed to of lost its color but wasnt too worried as thought maybe stress as it was really cold when it was brought home. Today it seems to have lost a little bit of Tissue at the base and underneath its hot pink. Good news is the tip has colored up again. So now here is my question what is the difference between bleaching, rtn, tissue sluffing off, there is alot of sps terminolgy read and sometimes I understand but sometimes im not really confident in what im trying to describe as my problem with my coral.

Bleaching- Tissue lightens in color to the point of becoming white, growth slows, polyp extension can be greatly affected

RTN (rapid tissue necrosis)- Usually due to poor water quality, or a swift shift in parameters. The tissue peels off within a matter of hours.

STN (slow tissue necrosis)- Can have many sources, stressful conditions, bacterial/protozoan infection. It can be a PITA randomly striking a colonyt here, colony there until you wind up fragging stuff to keep it alive. Tissue slowly peels off in sections IME it happens in a spot stops for a while then grows again without warning.

If it's the abro I can give you another piece if that one doesn't make it, that frag was pretty low in my tank and wasn't getting a whole lot of light so make sure you move it up slowly.

yeah, think that is the problem I placed it midway in the tank under the 400w mh and probably stressed it. Its not bleached and still has really good polyp extention. Since its a small spot at the base should i frag it or leave it alone. Now its been in that spot for 2 weeks ? so should i move it down now or just leave it where it is. This could also be a result of my high salinity issue I had about a week ago. I let my salinity get to 1.0 32 due to not realizing my hyrometer was off and not realizing how much water tank was evaporating a day. Good news is im getting the hang of things and learning what i need to do to keep my paramenters steady. I can get them there just have to learn how to keep them there and what to look out for and how to fix it quickly.

Sounds like the salinity got to it, I forgot about that aspect of things. Just be patient, that guy can handle a ton of light and flow.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=5725.msg71671#msg71671 date=1230402441]
RTN (rapid tissue necrosis)- Usually due to poor water quality, or a swift shift in parameters. The tissue peels off within a matter of hours.
[/quote]

Any thoughts/advice about RTN? I had a stylophora recently that died that way. I had it for months and it was always doing great and then one day all the flesh was just a loose film around it. Everything else in the tank looked just fine and the parameters all checked out. :(

[quote author=pixelpixi link=topic=5725.msg71739#msg71739 date=1230445470]
[/quote]

Any thoughts/advice about RTN? I had a stylophora recently that died that way. I had it for months and it was always doing great and then one day all the flesh was just a loose film around it. Everything else in the tank looked just fine and the parameters all checked out. :(

[/quote]

Sometimes a coral can suffer from long term stress and finally give up. Usually though in that situation the flesh looks real thin and there's no new growth. With birdsnest it's tough to say they are pretty durable.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=5725.msg71782#msg71782 date=1230488399]
[quote author=pixelpixi link=topic=5725.msg71739#msg71739 date=1230445470]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Sometimes a coral can suffer from long term stress and finally give up. Usually though in that situation the flesh looks real thin and there's no new growth. With birdsnest it's tough to say they are pretty durable.
[/quote]

And sometimes a coral just dies even while looking healthy. I know of no long term SPS'er that has not experienced this problem :(

Back