Neptune Aquatics

My tuxedo urchin spawned (video)

Woke up early this morning to find my blue tuxedo urchin spawning. He had climbed up to the highest rock in the aquarium, pushed aside his usual hat of reef rubble and began slowly pulsing his feet and releasing a white, smoky substance. Grabbed my camera and turned some dim lights on to capture the event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR0zDbcnO1U

Tasty snack for your tank :D

I had that happen once, strangely only when I had multiple urchins in the tank, I did a big water change and I think the temp was a tad off (that's something I'm always lazy about) and sure enough they were spewing.... then another started spewing (i'm guessing in response)... although luckily neither of them made nearly as much reef chowder than when my trochus snails (all 6 of them!) spawned.

Wow! Nice work Jason,
Great catch and video too.
I've been under the impression that Urchins are not reef safe, but after seeing this one in your tank, it beckons the questions are they safe, or is it only certain ones that are? I ask, because I saw a LFS lose a lot of corals when a customer/non-customer slipped one into the store's softy tank without telling the LFS staff. Seems like the person was just trying to unload it. I'd be interested in your experience with these critters.
Congrats on the great observation and thank you for posting.
R.K

I don't know of any that would not be considered reef safe. They do not eat corals. I highly question the fact the store lost corals due to an urchin. maybe it knocked them over, but it didn't eat them ;)

Hey Guys,

That's good news to learn.

I saw, what appeared to be, a trail of destruction in their tank that looked like something with serrated teeth scraped off a noticeable line across all their corals (difficult to look at). The d.m. blamed it on an urchin he pulled out of it claiming it wasn't in his order. Anyway, that will be a mystery he wont ever solve easily. I suggested he gain membership in BARs and maybe he'll take up the suggestion. I appreciate you clearing up this misnomer of mine. I think they are neat creatures of the deep, and am glad to finally shake this stigma of mine after all these years.

You folks are the "best,"

R.K.

Back