Reef nutrition

Nano Build

For some stupid reason, I feel the need to set up another tank.

I have been reading alot about DIY rocks with pond foam and I have an itch to try it out.

The Plan: Take JBJ Nano Cube DX and make a mini reef for my room.
Build DIY rocks with a combination of Black Pond foam, Sand and real rock.

I am not sure how long this project will take so just bare with me :

Here is what I accomplished today.

Built the frame for the rock work. The frame is removable in one piece, so I can build it outside the tank and and place it in the tank when I am done. Doing it this way, If I ever need to take it apart it should be pretty simple.

9-5-07a.jpg

9-5-07b.jpg

9-5-07c.jpg

9-5-07d.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks

- Dan

It might be a good idea to paint it black in case there are any gaps. What paint should I use?
Now that I am looking at my pictures, I think I might take 1 or 2 squares off of each side to make sure I have enough clearance to clean the sides.

Alrighty, got everything trimmed and squeezd into the tank. It looks so cool!!!

The way the pond foam dried, it kinda looks like cooled lava!

Mixed up some water, and everything looks great.

let me know what you think.

RightSide.jpg

FTS.jpg

Hmm... so does that foam make the structure want to float up in the tank? Do you need do do anything special to keep things in place?

I kinda wedged it underneath of the output nozzle on the right side to ensure that it would stay put. It was also a pretty tight fit getting it into the tank :)

I also added 5 pounds or LR rubble to it to keep it down. all in all, I am extremely happy with the way it looks.

If you wanted a more natural look I would go with white foam over black. I am still stuck on the lava look though.

Once it starts to grow coralline and algae I am convinced it will be incredible.

Added a fish, just a green chromis but he look good in there. I also changed the pump out with a maxi jet 1200. And I want to say that it has so much more flow now!!!
Aquatic Central had a frog fish about the size of a marble that was BRIGHT red! but it was sold :(
He would have look awesome in there!!! Oh well.

I will take updated pics when I get a chance.

And, I found a light at Costco for 9 bucks!
Floodlight1.jpg

It is an outdoor flood light, with 4 Power compact bulbs coming out of a standard light bulb socket. Putting out 65 watts!
Floodlight2.jpg

Back