1. The 2014 BAR Members Only Frag Swap is today!

Become a member in order to participate in today's swap!
  2. Hey Bay Area Reefers!

Please excuse the mess as we're currently sorting out some technical issues with our new home page as it has thrown off our website URLs a bit.

Thank you for your patience!

Your Webmin

Nautilus Live Deep Sea Exploration

Discussion in 'The Eutrophic Zone' started by MolaMola, Oct 25, 2017.

1. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

Well, I feel like a fool for not posting this earlier, but if anyone is interested in watching a live stream of deep ocean ROV exploration, you should check out NautilusLive.org from time to time 24/7. Off and on since the summer I have been losing sleep watching the expedition working its way down the west coast. The past few days I have been blown away by streaming deep sea hydrothermal vent footage, such as:
    https://nautiluslive.org/album/2017/10/24/feeling-hot-hot-hot-extreme-chemosynthetic-communities
    (edited video with sound, not the live narration)
    I watched the ROV arm grab a sample of tube worms and there were shrimp, crabs, and little fish among the tubes!
    There are lots of their expedition videos on YouTube and there is usually a window showing the last four hours of their dive embedded on their website. While they are live, you can send in questions and have them answered by the team. The E/V Nautilus is the research vessel of Robert Ballard, who located Titanic and deep sea vents. Earlier this month they explored Cordell Bank right off of here - there are deepwater gorgonian-type corals there. I have watched only a bit of it and am waiting for time to check it out.
    Every time I click over to see what's going on I'm amazed, day or night!

Gablami and JVU like this.
  2. DEATH BY SNU SNU

DEATH BY SNU SNU Guest

Nice ! Looks like @jestersix was aquascaping underwater there again!

3. Flagg37

Flagg37 Colorado member

That’s so cool Maureen.