Cali Kid Corals

Need help with tank emergency

So Eric went over and had to fish out a bunch of dead fish: Achilles tang, purple tang, bi color blenny, starry blenny, 4 anthias, cherub angel, and a cleaner wrasse. A blue star leopard seems to be on its way out…

We can’t figure out what happened, @Srt4eric said my water parameters were fine, no signs of equipment failure, and all my corals were as happy as can be.

Does anyone have an idea? Maybe I should count my blessings as my two clowns, leopard wrasse, and clown goby seem to be fine. I don’t think it’s a disease as Eric said the bodies didn’t show signs of velvet and I saw my fish acting fine the day prior. All my fish are QTed and I haven’t added any new fish recently.

The only thing I added recently were a few sps frags. I also took out a bunch of chaeto before leaving on vacation, changed GFO, and topped off two part and my ato. Eric said the salinity also was 35 ppt.

Do you have a carbon monoxide detector in the room? Or had a power outage? The fact it killed only the bigger oxygen demand fish but not the coral makes me think it was some transient event. Sorry to hear this happened :(

Do you have a carbon monoxide detector in the room? Or had a power outage? The fact it killed only the bigger oxygen demand fish but not the coral makes me think it was some transient event. Sorry to hear this happened :(
Family member said no power outage that they knew of. Yes to carbon monoxide detector and it didn’t go off

I’m close by. Just saw this thread. You have my phone, I’ll msg you again just in case. Let me know if there is anything I can do

So Eric went over and had to fish out a bunch of dead fish: Achilles tang, purple tang, bi color blenny, starry blenny, 4 anthias, cherub angel, and a cleaner wrasse. A blue star leopard seems to be on its way out…

We can’t figure out what happened, @Srt4eric said my water parameters were fine, no signs of equipment failure, and all my corals were as happy as can be.

Does anyone have an idea? Maybe I should count my blessings as my two clowns, leopard wrasse, and clown goby seem to be fine. I don’t think it’s a disease as Eric said the bodies didn’t show signs of velvet and I saw my fish acting fine the day prior. All my fish are QTed and I haven’t added any new fish recently.

The only thing I added recently were a few sps frags. I also took out a bunch of chaeto before leaving on vacation, changed GFO, and topped off two part and my ato. Eric said the salinity also was 35 ppt.

How long before you left did you change those things? Did you rinse the GFO? No chance you accidentally added chlorinated water to the top off?

Is your apex monitoring temperature?

No anemone nor anything that could've gotten chopped up into a powerhead? No sea cucumbers or other things that could've died and poisoned things?

Does your camera have recordings?

That's sad and weird. Random ideas there.

My condolences.

How long before you left did you change those things? Did you rinse the GFO? No chance you accidentally added chlorinated water to the top off?

Is your apex monitoring temperature?

No anemone nor anything that could've gotten chopped up into a powerhead? No sea cucumbers or other things that could've died and poisoned things?

Does your camera have recordings?

That's sad and weird. Random ideas there.

My condolences.
I took out chaeto and changed GFO about 4 days before leaving. I did rinse GFO, not a ton - just one strain through the media cartridge.

I don’t think I added chlorinated water. It’s the same rodi system I’ve been using and I added the same water to my frag tank and I don’t have any losses there.

I do have nems but none got into power head. No cucumbers, only 2 urchins.

Unfortunately no recordings.

Back