Our mission

Neptune Flow Sensor size for 3/4" plumbing?

kinetic

Supporting Member
I need flow sensors for my return that has a manifold for my UV to run in parallel.

The UV is 3/4" and the return pipe into the tank is also 3/4".

My return pump has an outlet of 1"

I'm thinking the flow sensors would be right at the manifolds (after the ball valve going to the UV, but before reducing to 3/4") and then the main return will also have the 1" flow valve after the split to the UV. When the two pipes merge back together, I'll reduce then to 3/4" to fit the return pipe.

Does that make sense? Or should I be getting something like the 1/2" flow meter? Will this even work with these 3/4" sizes?

I would; gate valves are much easier to fine tune than ball valves. Ball valves are better to shut the flow completely, 1/4 turn and flow is off.
A manifold will loose flow with the multiple connections, Tees, Elbows, reducers and what not. The Gate Valves allow you to compensate each outlet according to your needs.

I would; gate valves are much easier to fine tune than ball valves. Ball valves are better to shut the flow completely, 1/4 turn and flow is off.
A manifold will loose flow with the multiple connections, Tees, Elbows, reducers and what not. The Gate Valves allow you to compensate each outlet according to your needs.
Gotcha! Thank you!!

When I read the reviews on the flow sensors, it did not seem worth it. Maybe they have gotten better?

Yeah back in the day they seemed to be bad. But everyone on R2R is suggesting to use them for my manifold so I can really make sure I'm getting the right flow.

Yeah back in the day they seemed to be bad. But everyone on R2R is suggesting to use them for my manifold so I can really make sure I'm getting the right flow.
My impression, which could be very wrong:
The smaller ones, like FS100 are paddle wheel based inside, and does not block flow in general, and generally work well.
The larger FS200 is propeller based, and has a screen, which can clog up rather badly, and needs almost weekly cleaning.

My impression, which could be very wrong:
The smaller ones, like FS100 are paddle wheel based inside, and does not block flow in general, and generally work well.
The larger FS200 is propeller based, and has a screen, which can clog up rather badly, and needs almost weekly cleaning.

I'll probably surround the flow meters with unions so I can pop them off to clean just in case they get clogged or if I end up not wanting to use them. I think putting them on when I want to check the flow might be good. I don't now how much they alter flow rates, but hopefully not enough to really mess anything up.

My 2 cents are to measure the flow in the reactor using a bucket and a stopwatch, then you don't have something to clean and have a pretty accurate flowrate.

That being said, I like toys a lot and sensors are cool.

My 2 cents are to measure the flow in the reactor using a bucket and a stopwatch, then you don't have something to clean and have a pretty accurate flowrate.

You don't even need a bucket sometimes. It is possible to measure flow in the tank itself with a plastic bag.
You put the plastic bag on the output for a few seconds, then measure how much water is in the bag.

Yes, I've often measured flow this way. But I'm not sure how to:
1. Know if flow degrades over time (pump maintenance, blockage, etc) - easy fix, just keep cleaning things
2. The UV will run in parallel with my return. It will merge back with the main return line before going into the tank. Yes I can use a bucket or a measuring cup but it's going to be tough measuring, tuning a gate valve, etc. and then plumbing it all back up later.

A small (Sicce etc) standalone pump allows you to tune the flow independently on the UV and is quite cheap relative to other larger pumps. I use one for my jumbo reactor.

A small (Sicce etc) standalone pump allows you to tune the flow independently on the UV and is quite cheap relative to other larger pumps. I use one for my jumbo reactor.

Right, I have a bunch of smaller pumps, but I'm going to try to push it through the return pump (which is plenty big). There's some potential benefits of pulling water straight into the DT through the return for a UV.

Dumb question, but why do you care if the flow drops? I ask because maybe you'll see the symptoms in other ways anyway. For the UV, slow flow would actually help kill big things, and if it got mega slow and wasn't doing it's job somehow you'd presumably notice from having to clean the glass more.

For a reactor, if you have a Trident wouldn't you catch it there anyway?

Dumb question, but why do you care if the flow drops? I ask because maybe you'll see the symptoms in other ways anyway. For the UV, slow flow would actually help kill big things, and if it got mega slow and wasn't doing it's job somehow you'd presumably notice from having to clean the glass more.

For a reactor, if you have a Trident wouldn't you catch it there anyway?

Yeah I will probably see symptoms in other ways, but this would tell me much sooner before other things started to fail.

I don't know what you mean about a reactor. I'm going to be dosing.

Yeah I will probably see symptoms in other ways, but this would tell me much sooner before other things started to fail.

I don't know what you mean about a reactor. I'm going to be dosing.
I meant calcium reactor. I thought I'd seen reactor mentioned earlier and thought that's what it was referring to.

I meant calcium reactor. I thought I'd seen reactor mentioned earlier and thought that's what it was referring to.

Ah! I think I had mentioned possibly using something like a carbon reactor (I have a couple of those BRS canister reactors). But I think for now I'm just going with a UV and doing a bit more passive carbon (bag of carbon under my ReefMat), if anything.

Back