Neptune has a Big Announcement Today @ 4:30 PST

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jonmos75, May 23, 2016.

1. jonmos75

jonmos75 Supporting Member

BRS video about the new Apex

2. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Gotta say after watching that it makes me want one... however that desire is squashed with the fact that I own a number of controllers already and the fact that $800 is a crap ton of money, in fact looking at the difference between the standard Apex system (even before nearly $100 price drop), I'm wondering where the extra $300 is going, is wifi & a salinity probe and a few ports to run Neptune exclusive items really a $300 investment? Is current sensing really that expensive of an add on? I think the Reefkeeper products have had that for a long while now. If I was buying new, there's really nothing that's compelling me to want the newer version over the "classic" Apex.

Also would have been nice for them to have a rundown of all the modules they used, that way you won't get even more sticker shock to find out that $800 you just forked over can't do much of what they're doing because you need to buy all the add-ons.

I did think the switch panel was a snazzy touch, however it seems a modest investment to make for something which has been pushing you to use a tablet/phone as an interface that can do all those things as well. I would personally have been happy with simply having a big "FEED" button instead, everything else can be turned off/auto based on a swipe on a tablet/phone. The idea of mounting a tablet to the board was very cool too, I got a super crappy Android based tablet, that I have never really used because it can hold a charge for shit (get what you pay for, and it was free), but repurposing something like that would be neat, especially if you can have it give you a graphical display and all the other fancy stuff.

3. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

ohhhh, he just leaked the new optical water level sensor for apex at 22:47. Somewhere out there, tunze just shed a tear. Next week is the Vertex upcoming (if ever get released) controller. Interesting.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  4. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

I wonder if you don't see a miss-mash of controllers in one episode since in the US it's Neptune & DIgital aquatics and everyone else is barely a blip on the radar. Tunze just announced a controller too at Interzoo, but BRS doesn't sell anything other than those two brands, so won't hear much of a peep from them, and hey if I was going to document the building of a tank I'd talk about stuff I could sell the consumer and use what basically is wholesale cost (or perhaps free if they're being sponsored)

5. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

@jonmos75 youre a neptune beta tester right? Did you have this before it was announced?

6. jonmos75

jonmos75 Supporting Member

@Flagg37 to my knowledge there were only internal beta testers on this product

No I do not have one yet but I am sure I will shortly. I will move my current Apex to my saltwater mixing station that I have 3/4 the way built and already have written the programming for a Apex to make it 90% all auto mated. I was going to purchase another Apex for it, yet now that this is released I will get the new one test it out and then move it to my Tank setup. It was perfect timing for me as I am migrating all my Neptune product out from under the tank into a cabinet next to tank.

7. OnTheReef

OnTheReef OnTheReef (Eric) Supporting Member

Zigbee is a carrier protocol, just like WiFi, only much simpler. What's needed is a sensor and control protocol like the IEEE 1451.2 protocol stack (TEDS, STIM, etc).

8. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Hey now, getting a bit too technical here. I know this is the Silicon Valley and all but I lost you when your keyboard stuck on the "E" key.