High Tide Aquatics

Never thought it would happen to me....dumped a bunch of two part in my tank

BleepBloopMunchMunch

Supporting Member
Doser/user malfunction had the dosing pump running for an unknown amount of time, but dumped probably about 250 ml of alk and ca two part into my system, hanna checker revealed an alk of 14, up from my normal 8.3. So what next? I luckily have enough saltwater mixed to do probably a 50% water change, but I gotta wait for that to heat up first

dilute asap with RO water. I'd say you can safely lower sg by ~0.005, which will have a much bigger effect on alk than a water change with more saltwater.

or check this out... dilute with ro water to get salinity from 35ppt to 30ppt. This'll get your alk to ~ (30/35)*14 = 12 dKH. Then a 50% WC with 8 dKH salt mix will get salinity back up to 32.5 ppt and alk to 10dKH. Best of both worlds...

Thanks both of you for the tips, luckily I had plenty of salt so I just did a big water change with that and got the alk back to 9.3. Maybe tomorrow change out the GFO if it hasn’t dropped a bit more. So far things looked alright so hopefully crisis averted

Crap! Sorry to hear.

That happened to me last August... first my alk spiked to 13 - 15 , then followed by my Ca going up to probably close to 1000.

Not to be harbinger of bad news, usually the fall out from alk swing happens at the 2 - 3 week mark after the swing. So keep an eye out. Suggest getting some antibiotics like cipro or amoxicillin and doing a dip if you see signs of discoloration or peeling. Not 100% but gives a fighting chance to save the pieces. (My current prevailing theory is a STN/RTN is caused by bacteria take control after a stress event)

Back