Jestersix

New here, intro and question...Any local fish stores take trades?

Short story...I need to know if any LFS takes fish on trade. I have a mated pair of Clarkii Clowns that eat any and everything, and host anemones.

Long story...

Hi all. New here. I had been keeping reefs for many years, and took a break due for a few years when I moved out here.

I recently decided to get back in the hobby and bought a 2 year old Red Sea Reefer 250 from someone on Craigslist that was a fully set up reef with solid equipment. The guy I bought it from was moving and lost most of the color from his SPS but it otherwise looked healthy so I took everything home and re-set it up. No losses or cycle or anything...I’m a bit proud of myself for that.

Anyhoo the reason he had issue was his refractometers calibration was way off..like .005 off. So his salinity was 1.031. It took a few weeks but things are stable and slowly looking much better.

So, my question...do any local stores like Neptune, or Aquarium Collection takes trades? I have to re-home a mated pair of Clarkii Clowns. The guy I bought the tank from had these guys and a pair of either perculas or occilaris clowns. They were getting along fine until I added a second BTA to the tank...the other clowns had a nem on the left side of the tank and the Clarkii’s would just stay on the right. So, big brain on me; I get a nem for the Clarkii’s thinking it’ll be even better and I was very wrong. As soon as that other nem was in the tank the perc female started berrading the Clarkii male.

Long story short I’ve caught both Clarkii’s and they are happy in my sump waiting for a new home. Let me know if any store take trades. I’ll also probably post in the trade area. I’m a firm believer in trading between other hobbyists and not price gouging each other.

Also, I’ve noticed that people charge a ton out here on Craigslist. I had my reef back in GA and was a member of the Atlanta Reef Club. People charged MUCH less for coral back east...

Next question...what is a fair price for these clown if I put me on Craigslist? I have them up now for $100 and think that’s fair for a nice established pair, but not sure.

Here is a terrible pic...we’ve been collecting zoas for a few weeks. The plan is for a Zoa covered bottom.
CEC5525A-B79A-4F08-B006-E94C69A23360.jpeg

Neptune’s will too, for store credit. In general you won’t get much - a fraction of what it’s worth. But if you don’t want to go through the process of selling, or need it gone ASAP, they’ll take it off your hands.

In terms of price, it think it depends on the size. Might be hard to move a pair of big clarkiis. Also, since you’re new to the area, the Bay Area reef central subforum is a good place to try selling as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neptune’s will too, for store credit. In general you won’t get much - a fraction of what it’s worth. But if you don’t want to go through the process of selling, or need it gone ASAP, they’ll take it off your hands.

Thanks. I’ll probably just sell or try to trade.

Well a quick look shows someplace like Liveaquaria has Clarkii for $25 a pop, so asking double that might make it hard to move. Yeah they are a 'mated pair" but I'm not sure that really brings much value, I mean hell I remember back in the day every LFS would just put two clownfish from a shipment into a tank then write "mated pair" on the the tank to sell them for a premium, not so much anymore.

Well a quick look shows someplace like Liveaquaria has Clarkii for $25 a pop, so asking double that might make it hard to move. Yeah they are a 'mated pair" but I'm not sure that really brings much value, I mean hell I remember back in the day every LFS would just put two clownfish from a shipment into a tank then write "mated pair" on the the tank to sell them for a premium, not so much anymore.

Maybe your right. I just figured an actual mated pair who is healthy and will definitely host an anemone would be worth more.

I’ll give it a bit and see.

Maybe your right. I just figured an actual mated pair who is healthy and will definitely host an anemone would be worth more.

I’ll give it a bit and see.
I very well could be wrong too, it's been a long time since I've paid much attention to clownfish in stores, seems the money is in genetic deformities in that market. I was just speaking as if I had the mindset of someone who might want a couple clownfish for my tank (I don't btw :D) , and if I can get a fish for $25-30 so two should cost double that, and the whole "breeding/mating" aspect would only matter to me if I was a breeder, and like I said there's no money in breeding "common" fish, you need the ones that look like they were dipped in bleach and drawn on with a sharpie to make money :D

But then again I wouldn't see why someone would fork over a thousand bucks on a mushroom that looks like it was cross bred with the elephant man and someone with a serious case of herpies :D

Hey now, that ugly mushroom is my future... lol. On the bright side, you can easily get 1000 bucks by selling a few smaller ones. Believe or not it, on another forum someone sold a large wwc og for $3000 in like 3 days....like the housing market around here

Hey now, that ugly mushroom is my future... lol. On the bright side, you can easily get 1000 bucks by selling a few smaller ones. Believe or not it, on another forum someone sold a large wwc og for $3000 in like 3 days....like the housing market around here
never understood some of these insane prices but if there is a buyer there will always be a seller

I very well could be wrong too, it's been a long time since I've paid much attention to clownfish in stores, seems the money is in genetic deformities in that market. I was just speaking as if I had the mindset of someone who might want a couple clownfish for my tank (I don't btw :D) , and if I can get a fish for $25-30 so two should cost double that, and the whole "breeding/mating" aspect would only matter to me if I was a breeder, and like I said there's no money in breeding "common" fish, you need the ones that look like they were dipped in bleach and drawn on with a sharpie to make money :D

But then again I wouldn't see why someone would fork over a thousand bucks on a mushroom that looks like it was cross bred with the elephant man and someone with a serious case of herpies :D

Yeah I don’t know why people like those bleached out clowns. Super ugly to me

What I am waiting for is for an truly blue clown to be bred out... there are already a few examples of extreme genetic mutation along those lines.

The bright side, is that it's a guarantee that the fish is aquacultured. :)

Back