Reef nutrition

New tank

Zero Gravitas

Supporting Member
Howdy everybody, I am starting a new 75 gallon display tank with a refugium. I have about 60 pounds of live rock that is well cured currently residing in the sump section, I want to add about 100 pounds into the display that’s dry from my old tank set up, but I’m afraid it will make the whole tank cycle, is there any thing I should do that might prevent it from cycling? I pressure washed and dried the new rock I am going to introduce, but I’m worried they’ll be quite a bit of dead matter introduced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are worried about a cycle, then I would add it slowly over 2 months or so, just to play it safe. My bet is that adding 100# of dry into a system that has 60# will cause a cycle. Do you have livestock already?

As long as there isn't any dead organics on the dry rock, it wouldn't start another cycle.

If you don't have any livestock, it's as good a time as any.

If you do have livestock you'll have to add it slowly (sucks for aqua scape) or acid wash it (labor).

Another question, I have Old sand from the tank break down I got the cured live rock from, but I haven’t been heating the water so it is been sitting in 55° weather for about a week. Do you think there’s any beneficial bacteria left? If not I’ll just wash it in hot water. All the Bristol worms have died and floated to the surface… So that’s probably not a good sign. But at my local fish store they sell what they call live sand and it’s just Kept in a plastic bag wet and not heated in anyway. So I’m assuming some bacteria must live in sub optimal temperatures that could still be beneficial to my tank?

Another question, I have Old sand from the tank break down I got the cured live rock from, but I haven’t been heating the water so it is been sitting in 55° weather for about a week. Do you think there’s any beneficial bacteria left? If not I’ll just wash it in hot water. All the Bristol worms have died and floated to the surface… So that’s probably not a good sign. But at my local fish store they sell what they call live sand and it’s just Kept in a plastic bag wet and not heated in anyway. So I’m assuming some bacteria must live in sub optimal temperatures that could still be beneficial to my tank?

Nitrifying bacteria can survive temperatures until 32F. So yes, bacteria will be okay. Question is whether you want to use that sand or not. Since there has already been noticeable die off, it will very likely cause a cycle in your tank.

Do not use that sand...I repeat...do not use that sand.

And you will most definitely have a cycle if you add that much rock. Just cycle it separately or add rock very slowly. Like 10 lbs every month...every 2 months would be better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What's your reasoning for that?
Adding dry rock, even previously cured rock that has subsequently dried out will always have a “cycle”. It may be so small that one does not register it, but organics such as the dead bacteria are always present to some degree.

I’ve added small amounts of dry rock to an established tank without issues because the tank can easily handle the ammonia. But another reason to add rock slowly is it can affect the stability of a system, even if doesn’t cause a measurable cycle. For a tank full of softies it may not matter, but it’s generally prudent to move slowly in a reef tank.

But I agree, if there is no livestock in your tank that you care about, the actual tank system can be your curing station. But the OP made it sound like a big cycle would be a problem with his established system.

You make good sense there, I guess My intention was to have the smallest/quickest cycle possible, thinking that since I have some well cured live rock in there, maybe I could avoid it altogether. In the soul hope that I might be able to start spending this money that’s burning a hole in my pocket quicker…

But thanks to your kindly knowledge I have amended my plan somewhat. I’ll just put everything I want in there and let it do it’s thing, Testing the water periodically to gauge where I’m at overall.

I basically have three small fish that I suppose I can just keep in a small tank for a couple months. I am known to be a bit hasty.

Back