Our mission

New to saltwater ...

Hello;
New here; Joined your forum as I heard your club is one of the best and looks like your club has an unlimited wealth of info; My dad raised KOI for fun and I used to go to the Local club meetings; only thing I didn't like about it was the snobbishness of allot of the members.... I just set up my first tank and have equipment donated to set up another 55 long. I have also ordered a 12g edge nano I hope to set up as a Dwarf Sea Horse aq with Light reef for the GF.

I'll see if I can attend a meeting after the new years & see if joining your club would be my kind of thing;

Here is my current 30 Gallon with 120W bridelux Led; Trying to keep it simple with small water change every 2 weeks; and manually buffering ph and alk when needed. Tank is 3 months old ... only thing that has irritated me so far was my peppermints eating my torch ...

IMGP7576.jpg

Anyone know what type of feather duster this is
IMGP7574.jpg

IMGP5601.jpg

IMGP5955.jpg

Hope to meet some of you soon and see some established tanks;

Andrew

Welcome! Your first tank is already looking pretty good! BAR is a great resource regardless of what reefing stage you are at!

Thanks for the welcome; I hoping the new tanks should be ready by the end of the month ...

Tank is clearing up some more (I hope)
IMGP7601.jpg

Got the next tank filled up; Going to work on an external refuge for culturing mysis and pods ....
Looks like the 220 watt HO T5's put out allot more light but maybe less par than then the leds ...
IMGP7599.jpg

Welcome, and nice setups! Refugiums are a great idea, and you can get some chaetomorpha or other macroalgaes from the members here for nutrient export. I've been using a modified Aquaclear 110 filter for a HOB refugium, but have been entertaining the idea of expanding it by plumbing a 10g or 15g dedicated refugium above the tank.

Your observation about T5/LED light output and PAR is echoed by many. Since LEDs emit at a single wavelength while T5 has a spectral range, LEDs appear dimmer to our eyes, yet put out more PAR compared to T5.

Back