Kessil

Newbie 8g tank

My ammonia reads zero, my nitrite is reading high and my PH is reading low again. Anemone is slowly dying. Adding rock will help this solution?
Assuming the rock or sand is from an established tank (1 year plus), yes. I remember your other tank is new too so you might not get as much benefit. It will take weeks to properly cycle a tank with fresh dry rock and sand, but you can jump start things with established rock and sand. Go to High Tide Aquatics and buy some today if you can or see if Steve can sell you some from an established tank's sump since he's closing up shop soon.

The fact your pH is low and nitrites are high indicate something is decaying in there (old food, poop, etc.) and the nitrifying bacteria are struggling to keep up (that amount of animals in an 8g is high even when it's an established tank). Think of it like three people farting in an elevator with a broken air exchanger. The established rock is your air exchanger.

For the sake of your animals' well-being just trust us and read the articles about how long it takes to cycle a tank, we're trying to help!

Assuming the rock or sand is from an established tank (1 year plus), yes. I remember your other tank is new too so you might not get as much benefit. It will take weeks to properly cycle a tank with fresh dry rock and sand, but you can jump start things with established rock and sand. Go to High Tide Aquatics and buy some today if you can or see if Steve can sell you some from an established tank's sump since he's closing up shop soon.

The fact your pH is low and nitrites are high indicate something is decaying in there (old food, poop, etc.) and the nitrifying bacteria are struggling to keep up (that amount of animals in an 8g is high even when it's an established tank). Think of it like three people farting in an elevator with a broken air exchanger. The established rock is your air exchanger.

For the sake of your animals' well-being just trust us and read the articles about how long it takes to cycle a tank, we're trying to help!
Thanks @Darkxerox Im going to head over to Steve right now, Im just shocked where it all went bad. Everything was going well. I appreciate all the help and advice you guys give. Now i understand how hard these pico reefs are.

There may also not necessarily be anything wrong at all - keep that in mind too. Don't let tests freak you out (especially unreliable and/or erroneous ones) for no reason.

Are the clowns still gasping, or was that resolved with more flow? How are the fish doing now?

As for the anemone - they often don't take well to brand new tanks, for reasons not well understood. I would not expect to keep an anemone in a dry-rock tank that young, and the fact that it is struggling is not necessarily a sign that something is "wrong" with what you are doing. Same can be said for many corals in dry-rock starts.

Chris….what stuff I gave you today should help with nitrite, breathing, and low ph. You should see improvements by tomorrow. Don’t feed them for a few days. The bta does not like the water and will stay close or deflated until the water gets better. If it is still attach and not gooing up it is still alive. Do not toss it just because it is full open up! Good luck!

Chris….what stuff I gave you today should help with nitrite, breathing, and low ph. You should see improvements by tomorrow. Don’t feed them for a few days. The bta does not like the water and will stay close or deflated until the water gets better. If it is still attach and not gooing up it is still alive. Do not toss it just because it is full open up! Good luck!
Will do thank you @Mochix.

There may also not necessarily be anything wrong at all - keep that in mind too. Don't let tests freak you out (especially unreliable and/or erroneous ones) for no reason.

Are the clowns still gasping, or was that resolved with more flow? How are the fish doing now?

As for the anemone - they often don't take well to brand new tanks, for reasons not well understood. I would not expect to keep an anemone in a dry-rock tank that young, and the fact that it is struggling is not necessarily a sign that something is "wrong" with what you are doing. Same can be said for many corals in dry-rock starts.
Clowns are doing much better not gasping for air anymore. Appreciate the help! Seeing the tests get me worried that my whole tank will crash.

Clowns are doing much better not gasping for air anymore. Appreciate the help! Seeing the tests get me worried that my whole tank will crash.
Your volume is small
You can purchase natural sea water
If you can assume that the national sea water is as it should be, water chemistry is perfect (which I do)
Than, no need to test, unless you’re looking for something specific
On your 8 gal, I would change 2-3 gallons every week
You will dilute pollutants and replenish the ions pulled from solution during biological processes
Feed your fish (brine shrimp are terrible feed)
Change some water
Enjoy your tank

Your volume is small
You can purchase natural sea water
If you can assume that the national sea water is as it should be, water chemistry is perfect (which I do)
Than, no need to test, unless you’re looking for something specific
On your 8 gal, I would change 2-3 gallons every week
You will dilute pollutants and replenish the ions pulled from solution during biological processes
Feed your fish (brine shrimp are terrible feed)
Change some water
Enjoy your tank
Genius I say. Drop that knowledge.

What was this magic potion ?

@derek_SR @Kensington Reefer @Turkeysammich I had a friend give me some rubbles from an established tank. Worked like magic! Clowns are swimming much happier and anemone opened back up. Overall one happy tank again! Thanks guys for all the help and much appreciated for the support and knowledge received from you guys!

Perfect!! Glad things are going better. Rubble from an established tank is a gift indeed.

@derek_SR @Kensington Reefer @Turkeysammich I had a friend give me some rubbles from an established tank. Worked like magic! Clowns are swimming much happier and anemone opened back up. Overall one happy tank again! Thanks guys for all the help and much appreciated for the support and knowledge received from you guys!
$upporting members get the most support
Best fishes
Happy reefing

Back