Our mission

next steps, moving up from a refracto

I'd like to get a digital salinity meter for the store. Anyone have any experience with the pinpoint one? Seems to be the cheapest one out there from a reputable mfg. Any other suggestions? Gman?

bookfish said:
I'd like to get a digital salinity meter for the store. Anyone have any experience with the pinpoint one? Seems to be the cheapest one out there from a reputable mfg. Any other suggestions? Gman?

Pin Point (Med grade hobby unit) is hardly a "reputable mfg.".. They are the RIO of the digital testing realm.

We use a many different units, none are Pin Point. The only thing we use them for is DO meters and that is just for items that only need a rough reading.

I'll look at what mfg's we use, model 3's , etc

The pinpoint meter is not water proof. Splash some tank water on it and its a goner.

I have an Extech EC600 now. It's a bit quirky and hard to calibrate. It's default temperature compensation isn't right for saltwater and the conversion from mS to ppt isn't right either.

However, once set up properly the mS reading has been reliable, accurate, and easy to use.

Jim, we use a Hach at work. Nice and we calibrate it every day. For my money, an good refrac is accurate and easier to use. Why are you looking to change?

We use YSIs at the lab - they are easy and reliable.

I agree with Rich, though - a good refractometer works just fine and they don't need to be calibrated often.

If you really want hi-tech and hi-precision, go with a freeze point depression osmometer. They're about $9K and will give you salinity within about 0.03 salinity units. We have one in my lab if you want to come use it.

Thales said:
Jim, we use a Hach at work. Nice and we calibrate it every day. For my money, an good refrac is accurate and easier to use. Why are you looking to change?
All the cheap ones either slip. the calibration screws rust, the hinge pins rust etc... so I started looking at the nice handhelds and realized I was in the price range of the bottom end digitals anyway.

Get one of those new D & D ones so I can see it and compare it against Crabbies cool lab one :)

Heh not d & D as in Dungeon and Dragons Tony :lol: ER, if that is the THACO you are talking about.

I only see the Milwaulkee and the pinpoint at the bottom end. Then there's the Hanna one at about $200 and a few others in that range. That's also about where the mid-priced handhelds are. But I did find a very pretty handheld for $599 that looked fun!

I'd go for bench top rather then hand held. Far less risk of ruining the unit.

Back