Jestersix

Next tank recommendations.

Hey all... I’d love to hear your guy’s recommendations for my future tank. Thinking about going bigger but has to be under 100 gallons. Any thought on good tanks. Was thinking about the RSR 250 or 350. Any other good tanks you guys could recommend? Thanks!

1. If you're thinking RSR does that mean you want to go rimless, or because you want a system where everything down to the plumbing is pre-made? If you're happy with the RSR system as-is and want that particular fit/finish they're a good option. If you're the sort that likes to customize everything and mix/match parts, or really want say a c-c overflow with bean-animal drains then it's not such a good option.
2. If you don't want to go rimless I second the generic 90, although I think you can get them pre-drilled. Drilling isn't that hard, but for the stress of maybe breaking a new tank (if you haven't drilled glass before) you can get them pre-drilled as well. If you are going to do that I'd say minimum 4 holes, preferably 5 (3 drains, 1-2 returns).
3. If your constraint is a 4' tank opposed to a rule on a lease prohibiting tanks over 100 gallons, put a 120 (not a 125) on the list as well. I'll say that it is a bit of a pair to work in the back corners of a 120, but not all that much different than a 90.
4. Standard rules apply, get the largest tank you can afford to equip, justify, and reach the bottom of without a snorkel.

1. If you're thinking RSR does that mean you want to go rimless, or because you want a system where everything down to the plumbing is pre-made? If you're happy with the RSR system as-is and want that particular fit/finish they're a good option. If you're the sort that likes to customize everything and mix/match parts, or really want say a c-c overflow with bean-animal drains then it's not such a good option.
2. If you don't want to go rimless I second the generic 90, although I think you can get them pre-drilled. Drilling isn't that hard, but for the stress of maybe breaking a new tank (if you haven't drilled glass before) you can get them pre-drilled as well. If you are going to do that I'd say minimum 4 holes, preferably 5 (3 drains, 1-2 returns).
3. If your constraint is a 4' tank opposed to a rule on a lease prohibiting tanks over 100 gallons, put a 120 (not a 125) on the list as well. I'll say that it is a bit of a pair to work in the back corners of a 120, but not all that much different than a 90.
4. Standard rules apply, get the largest tank you can afford to equip, justify, and reach the bottom of without a snorkel.

Thanks you! I Definitely want to go rimless, and have everything come together for the most part. What would you recommend for a rimless tank? What other tanks do people recommend that are rimless? I’ve heard waterbox makes some quality tanks? Thanks for all the input!

TLDR: If you want to take it out of the box and have things just come together the RSR is a good choice. Decent attention to detail and a general nice appearance. Very easy to work on as long as you stay within the constraints of their system. I wouldn't be surprised if Waterbox was the same, I just don't have any experience with them. Hopefully someone else on here will.

Longer:
Lots of options. Personally I like a bit more height to my tanks, and don't like having to take extra care when running the algae scraper near the edge (it will splash over on a rimless tank if you're not careful). I also happen to like having a bit of a shelf there, and like my viewing height higher. As a result my tanks are mostly eurobraced, but that isn't as clean a look, and I'm not you.

Planet - Pretty good. The hometown choice in Dallas, TX.
AGE - Also Dallas, TX. Slightly better attention to detail, slightly more expensive. They might only do PVC bottoms now, so something to be aware of if you want a glass bottom.
Miracles (rimmed experience only, not rimless)

No first hand experience, but have heard good things:
Elos
Reef Savvy*

Some of these will have different standard tanks, IE the size I was considering at the time was 1/2" glass with some manufacturers and 3/4" with others, although most offered it as an option. Some will have low iron glass as their standard, some it will be an option. Also, how picky are you? I'm the guy who notices minor mismatches in glass panes, bubbles in the silicone, non-uniform silicon by width, fillet, end condition, etc. Some manufacturers have better polished edges than others. Some people care, most people don't. Some you can see grind marks, some the polish is a bit too matte, some they round the edges a bit much when they polish the flats. They all put chamfer on a few edges where ideally they would not be. No, none of my tanks pass these tests. My point being, if you're that sort of perfectionist then you need to both consider other options, or buy a stock tank from a store where you can personally see it rather than ordering it in.

*I tried to buy a Reef Savvy tank several years ago. They had a great reputation online. They were super fast to quote the tank, might have even been within 24 hours, but I couldn't get them to quote shipping and because the tank replacement was an insurance issue I needed that. If they'd just replied I'd have one of their tanks right now. I e-mailed, e-mailed again, called them, called them a couple more times over a few weeks. More weeks went by. I finally posted a comment about it on one of the major reef forums and magically had my reply by e-mail the next day. Might be coincidence, but I think they're simply too busy. Unfortunately right at that same time a MUCH larger used tank pretty much fell into my hands, so no new tank for me.

Quick opinion:
RSR if you just want it to shop up and work.
SCA if you want to pick and choose fancy components.
But, at under 100G, manufacturer is not that critical. Just don't get junk. Go to Neptunes and see what they have.

Sounds good. I’ll do that. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I forgot, not Glass Cages. Their consistency of quality may have improved. I bought a large sheet of glass from them several years ago and the other tanks on the truck looked pretty good, but I’ve seen some really awful tanks from them as well. Also not plug and play.

Oh, I forgot, not Glass Cages. Their consistency of quality may have improved. I bought a large sheet of glass from them several years ago and the other tanks on the truck looked pretty good, but I’ve seen some really awful tanks from them as well. Also not plug and play.

For sure. Thank you so much for the help. Looking into all of the options. Appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no personal experience, but I’ve been considering the Cade aquariums for when I go big. Aluminum stand is the big selling point for me, and the whole thing just seems to be well thought out. The Smalest one (70 gal total volume) comes with switchable outlets, prebuilt plumbing for a reactor, a section of the cabinet for all your controllers and accessories, and the aluminum frame with adjustable feet.

If you can find one used Red Sea is nice too, I had a 170 I got used. I don’t love the wooden stand though, which is why I personally wouldn’t pay the price for a new one. While I know it is working for many people, I would rather pay more initially to reduce risk if we have a big earthquake.

Back