Reef nutrition

No power

Electrical fire across the street on a PG&E box - no estimate when power will be back. Main tank, Anemone tank, and quarantine tank running on koralias, and air pumps. Small 800W generator doing it's duty. Wish me luck!

Sent from iPhone. Wifi is gonzo.

Wow, sorry to hear, Julio. Hope you make it through the night okay. At least, presumably, you won't have to worry too much about keeping the tanks warm, LoL.

BRS just did a video on power loss. Circulation ranked as most important, especially agitating the surface. Pumps ranked better than air stone. Second is temp. Lower temps less deadly than high. I'm guessing you don't have a low temp problem today.

Since it is such a localized outage, you should be able to rent a generator if you need more power. 800w seems like it would be enough to run pumps and maybe even your frig. Handy if you need ice to cool tanks.

Good luck. Stay cool.

Tank temp did not drop much at all. Hopefully the opposite wont become a problem with the hot temps predicted.

The generator is actually holding well. I'm getting about 7 hours of run time with the load:

4 koralias
1 small mini pump
2 air pumps
And about 70w blue LEDs for 4 hours. plan is to get at least 4 hours per day in each tank.

I'll shop around for a larger generator today. It'd be nice to get the circulation pumps running, carbon, and a bit more light in the 2 Coral tanks.

gimmito said:
Everybody okay ?

Critters are all doing ok.

The fire across the street was well contained in the electrical box (underground). There was no damage to structures or people. The fire, while not big, was neat to look at. The colors from the flames were very unique.

PG&E crews are on it . The fire did a good number on the box. They've got to dig it out, replace it, and run new wire. That sounds like a big job to me but they are optimistic they can get it done by the end of day. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Bad luck. They just placed the new transformer in and it was DOA. ETA for neew transformer is 3 pm. I hope they are able to finish today.

Thanks guys.

Power came back around 3PM this afternoon. All critters are very happy.

Biggest lesson for me: get a bigger generator. If this had happened in the winter the little generator would have struggled with all the heaters required to keep main tank, refugium, & anemone tank going.

Back