Cali Kid Corals

Painting with epoxy

I'm really getting tired of fighting with unwanted corals. I snap off branches and they keep encrusting, normally i use a little Aquamend to smother the coral but that gets old too. I was thinking, if we can use Aquamend in our tanks, why can't we use something like West System, or another brand of liquid epoxy? Just paint it on with a brush to get into the tight spaces?

Since I haven't been at this that long I just want to make sure I understand what you are getting at. You're trying to control the growth of encrusting corals that you don't want to take over right?

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=2757.msg29005#msg29005 date=1199055743]
Since I haven't been at this that long I just want to make sure I understand what you are getting at. You're trying to control the growth of encrusting corals that you don't want to take over right?
[/quote]Yep, mostly Monti's, and Hydnophora the Hydno I almost have to use the putty because of the contour of the skeleton and the amount of flesh.

Jeremy needs to start a new club. Maybe Bizzaro BAR, the club for reefers who have a hard time NOT propagating corals :D

I'm thinking the epoxy paint type materials probably have too much in the way of nasty solvents to do in-tank application and curing safely.

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2757.msg29036#msg29036 date=1199137308]
Jeremy needs to start a new club. Maybe Bizzaro BAR, the club for reefers who have a hard time NOT propagating corals :D

I'm thinking the epoxy paint type materials probably have too much in the way of nasty solvents to do in-tank application and curing safely.
[/quote]Thanks Norman, I was thinking that as well. I posted my query while I was in the middle of a two tube Aquamend smother of ROAB orange polyp green body digi. I now have a lovely 8"X6" white area that is hideous. It seriously makes me consider tearing my rockwork apart and rebuilding. Now I have to attack some Hydnophora, or get a bigger tank.

Anyone wanna give me a tank? Maybe 5'X24"X20" eurobraced 1/2" acrylic external overflow w/ dual 1.5 bulkhead drains?

Aaron uses a putty/epoxy that comes in various colors.

He gets different shades of purple and pink by the time it's mixed.

Less noticeable in the tank while waiting for coralline to encrust.

This is a problem i wish i had since im still waiting for most my frags to grow out.

But, cant you remove the aquamed after awhile? Ive taken pieces out before with not too much trouble. The previously covered portions would be dead, but probably more attractive then new epoxy?

[quote author=Paradox link=topic=2757.msg29043#msg29043 date=1199145697]
This is a problem i wish i had since im still waiting for most my frags to grow out.

But, cant you remove the aquamed after awhile? Ive taken pieces out before with not too much trouble. The previously covered portions would be dead, but probably more attractive then new epoxy?
[/quote]I can remove it for the most part, but I'm so ham handed when I reach into the tank I wind beating the crap out of half my corals. I'm just looking for a more refined solution.

Back