Cali Kid Corals

Peninsula tank recommendations/guidance

richiev

Supporting Member
Back in the day the two tanks I always wanted was a rimless cube, and a rimless peninsula. Having gotten back into the hobby, I have a Reefer 170 so I have the cube. However, I'm realizing this isn't what I really want. For those who remember, the vision I have in my head is the tank the Glass Box Design blog had 12 years ago.

First up, I got it used and it's pretty scratched up. I'm happy with the price and such, but there's enough scratches that it kills the pure cube aesthetic I had in my head. Second, while I'm happy with the size generally, it's just a little small. Being a cube, there's not a lot of swimming length, so I don't really want to get any larger fish. Anyway there's other reasons too, and I'm ok with this one, but I don't want to invest more into replacing the things I don't love about it.

That brings me to peninsula tanks. The place I have my cube actually would fit a peninsula perfectly. It's a perfect room divider spot.

Which brings me to some questions.

1. Any recommendations for good peninsula tank brands/models?
2. Any recommendations for sizes? I know the default answer is _yuge_, but I'm wondering if there's any special things to think about there.
3. Any general advice on these? My guess is the main gotcha is water flow becomes difficult, unless you slap a powerhead on the far side.
4. Any suggestions on stands? Many of the tanks come with stands, but given it'd be a room divider, in our living room, right when you enter the house, the stand looking good would matter a lot.

And obviously, anyone have one they want to off load :)?

I've been looking at a Waterbox 4820 someone is selling on FB marketplace, but that feels like the minimum size that'd be worth getting.

Thanks in advance

CC @H2OPlayar whose peninsula probably started me down this rabbit hole

What dimensions are you thinking?
That's part of the what I'm looking for advice on actually. I'm not totally sure. I think the 4820 (48x20x20) seems pretty good, but the space seems like it could fit a slightly longer one. I'm was also wondering if a 60 long vs a 48 long would actually be much more expensive, but I haven't researched it myself. My assumption being the cost difference probably isn't that much, and it'd be more about running a pump at 80% instead of 60% and then the expected increases from having more space so buying more stuff to fill it over time.

Do
72”-36”-30”h
So much better when you can watch your fish swim away from you
Instead of just back and forth

Just a thought
The main concern I have with 30h is it seems like lighting needs start getting way higher to still have PAR at varying levels. The nice thing about the 20in range is 100 PAR at the sand even with a cheaper light.

But I guess I can always just solve that incrementally by adding more lights or making sure to overlap lights if I want anything low.

The main concern I have with 30h is it seems like lighting needs start getting way higher to still have PAR at varying levels. The nice thing about the 20in range is 100 PAR at the sand even with a cheaper light.

But I guess I can always just solve that incrementally by adding more lights or making sure to overlap lights if I want anything low.
My last tank was 36x36x30. I will never have a 30 tall tank again. It was a pain to reach the bottom of the tank.

You don't need to grow acro's on the base of your tank! At least I don't think that is what you are going for. I have 30" of height and don't max out my 2x AP700's. I am a big fan of the 30" height for the extra water volume for fish and scape. I have long arms and long forceps to help reach things. I went with Crystal Dynamics and am still happy with my system. The next system I get is likely using their pre-fabricated steel stand and tank. Happy to answer any questions or continue the discussion!

If you have the space to go wider, go wider. I have a 48x24x24 peninsula and there's some limitations. With a regular back against the wall style tank, u can scape the rock from the front all the way to the back wall. With a peninsula, you're scaping from both sides so the horizontal space u have for coral placement is actually narrower. But that all depends on your style if it's a minimal negative space type or want to maximize coral placement spots.

Last edited:
For the longest time I only had pumps on the overflow side for aesthetics but the flow was too directional and and biased to one side. Eventually I gave in and added a Nero 3 to the front side and the flow randomness vastly improved, especially as corals we're growing out. I'm probably going to add one more. Something to consider as u plan out flow.

PXL_20220303_042826878.jpg

Good call outs so far, keep them coming!

@CaseyP good call out on the width. I didn't think about the need for gaps on the sides. I am more into negative space than full coral walls. I hadn't thought about that explicitly though, and helpful for you to call that out. When I think of a peninsula, I imagine seeing the room on both sides, either through a series of angular islands with gaps, or channels.

@grizfyrfyter lol. I feel there is an interesting gap where easy to work on is great, and "I need a scuba regulator" is great, and the middle can be gray. Again I hadn't thought about it explicitly, but the total height of tank + stand I think I need to think through for the room.

@H2OPlayar those are very interesting. I will say the idea of having hundreds of gallons of water weight sitting on a couple leg supports gives me concern for my floor, but the idea of magnetized plywood attachments I like. That's actually what was going to be the front of the stand I was planning to get made 10yrs ago before I left the hobby. Pricey though, geez.

I my problem wasn't just height but 36" width on every side. If I had to grab something that was on the bottom near the overflow, I had to stand on a ladder and dip my face in the tank.

I'd go for 30" wide over tall for a peninsula though.

For the longest time I only had pumps on the overflow side for aesthetics but the flow was too directional and and biased to one side. Eventually I gave in and added a Nero 3 to the front side and the flow randomness vastly improved, especially as corals we're growing out. I'm probably going to add one more. Something to consider as u plan out flow.

View attachment 36021
I was thinking regarding flow it'd be nice to have a mp## or 2 on the far side, with the cables running up from the bottom through holes in the side of the stand. I was thinking it'd be hard to get a good flow balance, since it seems like you'd need to blast the one side of the tank to get any flow on the far side. Is that your experience?

If I was going crazy here, my tank design would be:

* A 60ish long tank, let's go 60x24x24 so I can not feel like I have tang police issues
* A stand against the wall. I don't think I'd make the stand flush with the tank. I'd do something like 66x26, leaving an extra half foot of length on the end and 1in on the side. I like the idea of being able to put something on the end of the stand decoratively.
* The base of the stand I'm thinking it'd be neat to have a book shelf on the end, and I like this idea of removable panels versus doors, but I'm not sure. Top would be wood.
* Sump wise, the wall next to this is an external wall, leading to a small gangway next to the neighbor's. There's nothing there. I have this vision of putting a ginormous sump out there, wrapped in insulation. Use sunlight as a fuge light, and put all the water making/water change equipment there, along with an auto water change setup
* For tank water flow, have the weir and drains on the wall side, and a main return there. Then drill the bottom of the tank near the opposite side, and run another return, hidden inside some sort of rock. Maybe 3d print a return pipe as a series of angled sections so that it wouldn't be an obvious stack of rocks hiding a vertical pipe. Also I'd keep it lower inside the tank, say 1/2 to 2/3rds up. I'd put a check valve on that, and in case everything failed, I'd have the ginormous sump outside that it could overflow into and just drain on the ground if it came to it. Worst case I lose corals up high if there was a prolonged issue, but at least the fish and such could survive.
* Lighting would definitely be hanging. Either pendants from the ceiling, or a cantilevered mount against the wall. Pendants would be cool

But yeah, I'll probably just get a stock tank and stand, whatever I can find a deal on.

My last tank was 36x36x30. I will never have a 30 tall tank again. It was a pain to reach the bottom of the tank.
I'm right there with you. Never again will I have a tank that tall. I have a 48x24x30. I can't reach anything on the bottom by hand without being up to my armpit. It's difficult at best to glue corals on the rocks in the bottom half of the tank with tongs. I love the height for fish swimming space but if/when I have the chance to do it again I will go ~30 front to back and no taller than 24.

~Charlie

I'm right there with you. Never again will I have a tank that tall. I have a 48x24x30. I can't reach anything on the bottom by hand without being up to my armpit. It's difficult at best to glue corals on the rocks in the bottom half of the tank with tongs. I love the height for fish swimming space but if/when I have the chance to do it again I will go ~30 front to back and no taller than 24.

~Charlie
Y’all got short arms or something?
Tall tanks are Badass!
With a peninsula you want a lot of front to back for scaping. Anything under 24” is reall tough to work with. After leaving room on each side you will be left with a 12” wall down the middle. Not necessarily a bad thing, but you don’t have many aquascaping options. 30-36” much better

Y’all got short arms or something?
Tall tanks are Badass!
With a peninsula you want a lot of front to back for scaping. Anything under 24” is reall tough to work with. After leaving room on each side you will be left with a 12” wall down the middle. Not necessarily a bad thing, but you don’t have many aquascaping options. 30-36” much better
Average length I would say :) I did build my stand on the taller side and that doesn't help my cause any.

I agree with you on it being easer to manage with a peninsula tank. You have easy access from both sides.

My arms are limited to a 24” tall tank
But I find that the fish need the space to swim over the “reef”
especially the large tangs
And once you put sand in its not too bad

Back