Cali Kid Corals

Petco on Almaden Valley on Blossom Hill

I went in there today to kill some time and was pleasantly surprised. They had about 20+ marine tanks, lightly stocked. Fish didn't look very good but what surprised me was a frag tank in the corner. Again they didn't look very good, had an Orange Chalice that was melting n the rest were looking sad.

Pretty wide selection of equipment though, including some bags of Caribsea Argalive sand, Reef Octopus skimmers etc.

I've not seen this much marine centric stuff in a Petco/Pet Smart store locally before.

I'll b visiting if I need to pick up any Seachem or Kent products if I can't make it out to the other LFS!

If you ever google petco and reef/corals. You'll see that 90% of the time people are complaining about poorly they treat their fish/corals. Usually corals are dying and fish are unhealthy. The good part is you MAY find something nice for cheap. But be prepared to feel bad for dying coral/fish when you walk in.

There's a Pet Club in foster city that I stop by to buy some dry goods. I'm hoping they shut down their saltwater fish section because it's just sad. The Pet Club employees don't know what they're doing.

Buuut sometimes you do see a Petco with an employee that does know how to care for reef/saltwater tanks, but again not common.

I did start looking at which fish/coral I could possibly 'rescue'! I did like that they labeled n named the corals in the frag tank, even down to the scientific names.

When my tank is ready for rescue, I'll see if I can 'liberate' some of them.

Free Willy!

Back