Reef nutrition

Peter's Garage Tank

You don't need anything but a small pump to move the phyto. My phyto culture died thus my tiger production died with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Okay, our rotifers arrived today and we have them set up in a 5 gallon bucket with an airline. I picked up a kit that came with rotifers, green food , and a sieve. Time to set up some 2 liter bottles with live phyto in them. I guess I need live phyto ( I was thinking Iso - ?) and fertilizer to feed the phyto. Does anyone have a good source for these? or should I scour the web?

I forgot the fertilizer names f2 or f6 it's safe for mariner life caused no copper
Perfect! I ordered a jug of f/2, some live phyto, and all the airline components we will need to set up Phyto, Rotifer, and Copepod growing stations in the garage. Setting up the 100 gallon will have to wait until we get our "lab" set up. Today we are off to Aquatic Collection to do a little shopping. We are going to need some Copapods and live Phyto to feed the pods until our system is up and running. The more I read about Phyto, the more I wish we had started adding it sooner. It would have helped with nitrates, algae, phosphates...... Also going to look at getting a couple fish today. Peter's Chaulk Bass bailed out of the tank and we could use a fish in the garage.
Cheers!

From the Web:
Phytoplankton are “plants” and these living plants require nutrients in the form of carbon dioxide (CO2), nitrogen (N) and phosphates (PO4). When live phytoplankton is introduced to a system it continues to reproduce while actively consuming these nutrients until they themselves are consumed. In other words, live phytoplankton has a buffering effect on lowering nitrates (NH3), phosphates (PO4) and carbon dioxide (CO2) before it is eaten by other organisms, and like all plants, releases dissolved oxygen (O2) as a waste product.
LIVE phytoplankton also helps reduce nuisance algae because it competes for the same nutrients.
Remember how we said live phyto requires CO2 nutrients? CO2 functions as an acid and acids lower pH. With consistent feeding, live phyto can help buffer against pH swings by using some of the CO2 in the water.

Not sure I'm Buying any of that. Sure they use those things, but I bet you'd have to have a full on green tank to see much getting used up.
I was skeptical of those claims too. When I have added phyto the dosage on the bottle was like 40 drops into my 125 gallon tank.

What is the source you're quoting?

Phytoplankton productivity results from two primary input factors. Light and nutrients (primarily nitrate and phosphate) that phytoplankton utilize for growth

I wonder just how much phyto you'd have to have in your tank to see a difference tho. And in not sure how well it will grow in your tank either...

I wonder just how much phyto you'd have to have in your tank to see a difference tho. And in not sure how well it will grow in your tank either...
As I understand it: we can grow Phyto in 2 liter bottles in the garage and add it to the tanks. The Phyto in the tanks will take in nutrients (nitrate and phosphates and whatever else) and then be eaten by the copapods, Rotifers and corals. I might be wrong, but I really think I am right.

Seems
like it would only use those nutrients while growing. Not sure how much that will happen in the tank. It might. It might not.
Well lets do a 30 day test. Currently I have not done a water change for 2 weeks ( and will not do any water changes for the test) also I unhooked the airline to the skimmer so that we don't export anything from the tank. I added 12ml of Phyto Feast live (and will add the same amount daily for 30 days). Here are pics. of my nitrate and phosphate tests: any guesses as to how this will go????

day1nitrate.png
day1phosphate.png

Back