Cali Kid Corals

Phos reactor, pump I bought is to strong, anyway to slow it down

Had a great time today! But I'll save that for my next post. Thanks Bryan for the Phos-reactor!

So I went out today and bought some Power-Phos, rinsed the crap out of it and put about 1/2 of the 300g jar into the reactor. I picked up a Maxi-jet 600 and some more tubing.

Problem is, I think this pump is to strong for it. Instead of a light rolling boil, it's boiling quite violently and shooting up tiny little pieces of Power-Phos. I turned the valve down as much as I can before the pump starts to rattle, added a couple extra 90 degree elbows, but the flow is still to strong I think.

Is there a way to dial this pump down even more so i don't have to go spend another $20 on another pump? Can I drill a small hole in the tubing right above the pump to relieve some power? Anything else I can do?

What are you using for a pump? In most cases a MJ900 or even a 600 is sufficient to feed it.

Edit: Nevemind I saw what you are using. Very strange the valve should slow it down plenty. I think I was using at least a 900 to feed it in the past without having any problems. Is it possible you are feeding it from the worng side?

I usually use mini jets to feed phosphate reactors since they don't need to be backed off too much.

I've never had problems with rattling with small Maxi's though.

So Pixel's suggestion worked perfectly (didn't use a valve)! I just installed the piece shown with the airline tube (sans airline tube of course) in the picture below and now its rolling gently and perfectly! Thanks for the quick tips all!

AS1115_1.jpg

I feed mine from the return pump. A valve restricts flow to the reactor. Same as Jeremy, never heard a MJ rattle from back pressure. Diverting is a good idea because you don't put any back pressure on the pump.

Back