Kessil

Pink Goniopora in need of recovery

Invictus

Secretary
BOD
Hi All,

This Goni has lived happily in my tank for 6 months, but has been completely closed up the last couple weeks. It’s surrounded by 4 other happy Gonis.

I’ve tried an iodine dip, restore, microbacter7, etc with no luck. I have no pests bothering it.

Rather than it wasting away, I’d like this to go to a tank which already has happy Goniopora, to see if you can save it.
If all goes well ideally you can send me a frag of it back in the future.

@popper do you have Goni’s? You still need to pickup your new growout frag.

Pickup in Santa Clara.

Before & Current:

IMG_9740.jpeg
IMG_1583.jpeg

Feed them like crazy
Right now-on a daily basis -corals are fed:

Rotifers (reef nutrition) 2x a day
ROE twice a day
Red Sea AB
MYSIS shrimp 2x a day

3x a week pellets and avast reef jerky.

See if I can try again with another. Just despise getting something that I don’t know if it will do ok.

ROE twice a day
Red Sea AB
MYSIS shrimp 2x a day

See if I can try again with another. Just despise getting something that I don’t know if it will do ok.
More a matter of traces in my opinion, less so with food. If you do not know if your trace elements are ok, and gonies have not been making it, I do not believe there is a point trying again until you know.

ROE twice a day
Red Sea AB
MYSIS shrimp 2x a day

i mainly stop the pump and target feed gonis, wait for 10 mins before turn the pumps back on, so far it's working for me.

It is rumored that gonis need an elevated level of Manganese to really thrive. I never used to dose Manganese and did not spot feed in the past (I did broadcast feed Reef Chili though) and I seemed to have success with a number of gonis for years. Lately over the last year or so, I have been dosing ChaetoGro for my fuge and that does have Manganese. I haven't noticed much difference, but I know a few people that started dosing Manganese and that has made a difference for them, including one vendor/aquaculturalist that has a large number of gonis.

Of course, no studies have actually been done on Manganese and gonis specifically, but this study indicates that "Metals like iron, copper, and manganese are required at trace concentrations for many cellular processes, such as antioxidant defenses, and for the physiological functions, especially in photosynthetic organisms" (https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2021.681119/full). Perhaps gonis in particular have a harder time uptaking Mn and an elevated level helps alleviate this issue (this is of course speculation). Julian Sprung seems to believe this as well:

@RandyC & @Alexander1312 -I had also heard that Goni’s need higher levels of Mn. At the last ICP test it was undetectable so I have been dosing TM’s A&K elements. Just started last week so will see what happens on the next one..

In the meantime I’ll watch the video. Thanks for posting

@RandyC & @Alexander1312 -I had also heard that Goni’s need higher levels of Mn. At the last ICP test it was undetectable so I have been dosing TM’s A&K elements. Just started last week so will see what happens on the next one..

In the meantime I’ll watch the video. Thanks for posting
Manganese gets used up very quickly and will likely show up as undetectable even if you are dosing.

I am also on this Manganese wagon, but I also believe it is more complicated than that, as Randy pointed out above. Both of my Fauna Marin ICP had Manganese present, while all Triton showed 0. Both Managanese and Iodine (and others) seem to often now show, but are still there, I still find it hard to determine then if I have them or not. I believe dosing Captiv8 traces which Kenny sells will provide all you need, but potentially stronger than needed (at rather low cost). Applying Fauna Marin’s full scope ICP (Reef Total) and their knowledge base provides great insight into the relationships of the traces and how an out of balance may lead to issues, which I had not seen in that form from other ICP providers.

Edit: Just saw Rich’s post on ICP providers. Another reason for me to go with Fauna Marin, since I do believe they are trying to be as accurate as they can be. When I am in Germany this year, I might send a sample to their German lab, while sending a sample to the US lab, just to see if there is a difference. My only concern is if they are able to control the ICP quality in the US as well as they do in Germany.

I need to watch that video as well on ICP. I have been using ATI-which the water samples are shipped to Germany.

I was dosing 2x a week with a seachem product that did raise my iodine back up but the manganese was still undetectable.
That the Mn and iodine are in two separate products with Tropic Marin-will see if that makes a difference in that it will be dosed daily and can adjust one accordingly if need be.

Always an adventure with this hobby.,

I need to watch that video as well on ICP. I have been using ATI-which the water samples are shipped to Germany.

I was dosing 2x a week with a seachem product that did raise my iodine back up but the manganese was still undetectable.
That the Mn and iodine are in two separate products with Tropic Marin-will see if that makes a difference in that it will be dosed daily and can adjust one accordingly if need be.

Always an adventure with this hobby.,
Fauna Marin / Claude Schumacher mentioned in one of the videos that ATI is one of the few which are supposed to be reliable too.

Back