Reef nutrition

Please help identify this algae!

Hello all,

Can anyone please identify this algae and the best method for removal. This would be greatly appreciated!

015.jpg

In the picture you can see the algae is growing rapidly. Please ignore the clown fish, he is an attention seeker!

Thanks,

Antioch Reefers

Hey, looks like my tank.
:-(
At least it is not the really nasty Bryopsis plumosa, that looks like a fern.

Herbivores, nutrient reduction, macro algae to compete. The usual.
Or, ignore it and let it get worse while you work on a bigger algae growing tank.

Wow! you can almost see it growing.
water changes.
Test for nitrates and phosphates.
Don't over feed.
Reduce lighting.

Raising mag to 1500-1600 for 1 week did the trick for me.

edit: found the original thread that I followed

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1113109&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

double edit: It did kind of come back, SOMETHING in my tank is eating it I'm not sure what, the only places I have it now are my power heads and my frag racks.

The stringyness, the fine structure. Bryopsis has a thicker main stalk and turf algae has a wiry structure, also neither of them clump and shed like hail algae.

tuberider said:
The stringyness, the fine structure. Bryopsis has a thicker main stalk and turf algae has a wiry structure, also neither of them clump and shed like hail algae.

I hates me some hail algae...it keeps my heater on all the time!

jestersix said:
tuberider said:

I hates me some hail algae...it keeps my heater on all the time!

It broke my heater. Smashed it to pieces :(

Back