Our mission

Please help me choose between two lighting options.

So I found another killer lighting deal on a OC Reef X series 48" Cree.

I plan on getting a 48" long tank by 20-24 tell by 18-24 deep.

My two options are:
(2) Kessil 360WE

or

(1) OC Reef X Series 48" Cree.

I have an apex so the Kessil would be controlled from the controller. The OC has on board timer and dining.

What would you guys suggest. I plan on mainly going LPS with very few SPS.

Thanks,

Eric

My big concern with that OC Reef Fixture is that it isn't full spectrum. I personally have some warm or neutral whites in an LED fixture, but that one is all cool whites.

Well this really would be an apple and oranges type of comparison.

The 360WE is the wide angle one which IMO would be an absolute waste on a 18" wide tank, and probably also on the 24" tank. The OC Reef one seems like it's actually made to fit over that tank. However I don't see any specs on it anywhere, and I've never heard of the company either (of course it could nothing more than I just never heard of them)

Even if you go with the non-wide kessils you're going to have 2 hot spots right under, then a fan of intensity as you go out, which could be useful if you only want the highest light of items under them. Of course you also need to be weary of your aquascaping, because you only have 2 sources of light, a high rock structure could block out light in one direction. With the OC one presumably the light is spread out all over the place so it would be a bit easier to aquascape around that. Also having a built in timer and remote seems like a neat idea.

But honestly, the OC reef one looks like it's made in-house and that would be the one big thing that makes me a little hesitant to got hat direction. Sticking in the same price range, might want to look at a MaxSpect Razor 160W, or a couple of Rapid-LED Onyx fixtures too. Presumably you already have the Kessil fixtures? Otherwise if you want to lean that way, I'd really go for the 360N series not the 360W, send a message to Jess at Diablo, he may have both kinds of display if you want to get a feel for the spread they'll have.

Kessil has the ultimate solution for this coming out soon. Their new pendant gives you all the benefits of both you are looking at.

Yeah that new "flat" fixture does look quite sweet, wish there was more info out on it though.

Whatchyah want to know? I learned a decent amount last week at an event David and I were both at, of which had few people through the door so we had a LOT of time to talk LED :lol:

This one you can control the individual chips in the multichip! Too bad to do that with the A360, it would end up costing a shit ton more :(

For Kessil A360WE, you can hang/mount it lower or close to the surface to adjust with the wide spread/ light coverage. But two may not enough. You can buy two used Radion Gen2 for the same price with two Kessil A360WE, Radion come with build in controller and can adjust.

Checkout buildmyled.com

You can customize your light fixture to choose the exact LEDs you would like or order one of their standard fixtures.

They also provide all the specs, graphs, etc. on their lights, even on the fixtures you customize.

Last edited:
Whatchyah want to know? I learned a decent amount last week at an event David and I were both at, of which had few people through the door so we had a LOT of time to talk LED :lol:

This one you can control the individual chips in the multichip! Too bad to do that with the A360, it would end up costing a shit ton more :(
Ah, I thought it was basically a couple 360 matrix arrays tossed in a slim case with a controller built in.

Back