Cali Kid Corals

PVC Pipe containing Lead?

Just an FYI. I was buying all the pieces of my plumbing at Lowes... when I got to the ball valve section, the and entire row was missing. The employee said that they had a recall because the parts contained lead. He said it may take days or weeks before they get their new stock in. Also, if there were trace amounts of lead, would it eventually leak into the water, and detrimental to the tank?

Going to Home Depot and OSH. Also, I was able to find a plumbing parts place near my office near Brokaw Fry's Electronics... http://www.ryanherco.com/ Does anyone know if their parts are expensive or cheap? And if the price is worth the quality? They have an online PDF catalog.

Yeah it's strange at least in San Francisco because you're not allowed to us PVC in plumbing at all. Although who knows, Chinese made PVC parts?

Hey yellowjello Ryan herco has some good deals here, and bad deals there. You're likely to find what you're looking for if it's plumbing related, but if you really want my recommendation call them and get a copy of their print catalog. I'd say more often than not a little more $$.

Tons of little fittings though barbs, press-fit, etc... Used to have screaming deals on pH probes in the early 2000's.

Just picked up some little tubing clamps from them (for adjusting flowrate on kalk drip) a few weeks ago when I was down in the valley. Will call is in the back.

sfsuphysics said:
Yeah it's strange at least in San Francisco because you're not allowed to us PVC in plumbing at all. Although who knows, Chinese made PVC parts?

That is the same pretty much nationally and has nothing to do with lead. PVC can get micro fractures that bacteria can be harbored in, amongst other issues.

lead isn't conducive to marine life, not at all :)

http://www.epa.gov/waterscience/criteria/lead/

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/rs/feature/index.php

GreshamH said:
sfsuphysics said:

That is the same pretty much nationally and has nothing to do with lead. PVC can get micro fractures that bacteria can be harbored in, amongst other issues.
That's funny, because if you've ever opened up old galvanized steel pipe you'll find there are quite a few areas where bacteria can be harbored :D

Jimmy, thank you for providing the reference to that plumbing supply company. They actually have a specialized part (1.5 inch street elbow, threaded on the outside to screw into the inside of my bulkhead) that I really need! I called the 800 number, and they are shipping the two elbows to me via UPS.

sfsuphysics said:
GreshamH said:
sfsuphysics said:

That's funny, because if you've ever opened up old galvanized steel pipe you'll find there are quite a few areas where bacteria can be harbored :D

By far not as many and not as conducive to the bacteria they're afraid of IIRC. They're talking about micro scratches along the entire pipe length. The water actually pits it on a micro level. Galvi is much stronger and far less prone to this.

There's more to it then just that, like back flow issues.

Back