Kessil

QT Tank - Fish Medication

Thanks for all the thoughts. I don't have much sense of how stable I can keep a TTM / QT tank for a long period of time. Doing a fallow period for my DT and keeping a hospital tank up seems to be impossible for me at the moment. It seems like I can go for 2 weeks with Prazipro to get rid of most things other than Ich. If I truly get Ich in the future, I would probably best do the TTM + 75 days of fallow. I think it would be ideal to do it now, but with work and travel coming up, and the lack of equipment for a true QT tank, I don't think I'll tackle that. I'll try to get rid of everything else with the two week prazipro treatment, and then go for a TTM/Fallow period in the future if needed. I'll probably need to setup my 40G breeder, get an ATO setup, some kind of filtration for it, and then double that for the other tank for the TTM. Just not enough time/space at the moment. Maybe that's irresponsible?

Not irresponsible. As long as you know what your risks are then it's really about risk tolerance and how much you want to take.

Personally, if you're going to go through the effort to TTM, medicate and QT your new incoming fish, I'd reccomend doing the same with your existing fish as well and go fallow for 76 days on your main tank. For me, if I'm trying to mitigate risk of disease and parasites, I'd hate to start from an unknown state. And since you didn't TTM and QT your clowns (captive bred does not equal disease free) and your hawkfish and didn't QT any of your inverts, you're starting from an unknown state.

I would do this too.
I was looking at my tank on monday and saw that my foxface and leopard wrasse have some spots.
Thanks for all the thoughts. I don't have much sense of how stable I can keep a TTM / QT tank for a long period of time. Doing a fallow period for my DT and keeping a hospital tank up seems to be impossible for me at the moment. It seems like I can go for 2 weeks with Prazipro to get rid of most things other than Ich. If I truly get Ich in the future, I would probably best do the TTM + 75 days of fallow. I think it would be ideal to do it now, but with work and travel coming up, and the lack of equipment for a true QT tank, I don't think I'll tackle that. I'll try to get rid of everything else with the two week prazipro treatment, and then go for a TTM/Fallow period in the future if needed. I'll probably need to setup my 40G breeder, get an ATO setup, some kind of filtration for it, and then double that for the other tank for the TTM. Just not enough time/space at the moment. Maybe that's irresponsible?

I took this risk and ended up with ich.
Currently trying to figure out how im going to QT all my fish. I will also be setting up a frag tank as a coral and invert QT.

I figure there's a chance I'll need to go fallow anyway, I might as well wait until I have proper time to do it. There's a slim slim chance that they'll be OK in the long run, but there's a bigger chance (at the moment), that I'll totally botch a TTM / QT period right now.

So there is another option. (Some risk, but not too bad)
The ich parasites are larger than 1 micron.
You can pump water from DT through 5 micron -> 1 micron -> QT (low rate, a couple of GPH)
Then let it flow back to DT from overflow on QT.
That essentially gives the QT a big bio-filter.

Some risk, but probably the easiest if you really want DT to be fallow that long.

I went to Albany Aquarium (down the street) and picked up Prazipro and Metroplex. I dosed some Prime and Prazipro into the tank. I think I probably also need a bottle of Seachem "Focus" to bind the metroplex to food? I decided to dose a tiny bit just into the water column for now, but I know that it works best on stuff in the gut.

Any suggestions on using metroplex?

Also, my sailfin blenny is just sitting on my powerhead and not eating anything. Actually not even sure if the dottyback is eating, as he won't come out unless I leave the tank area. I put some pellets in, we'll see if they're still around later. But worried that the sailfin will just starve without algae to graze on. Should I get some nori in the QT?

OK did a little more research, looks like I'll need to get Seachem Focus to bind the metroplex into food (I'll probably just use pellets, since I think my mysis are too huge for these little dudes to eat). I also ordered some garlicguard to help entice them to eat. All coming Monday. At least they have prazipro going on. However, they both look pretty damn healthy so far.

Advise against mixing any medications together. Could result in very bad reactions.

Suggest getting some nice frozen food. Perhaps Mysis + Emerald entree.
Add a tiny bit at a time.

A tiny bit of nori with a rubber band on a rock might be nice.
But be careful not to overdo it. It will turn to mush quickly if not eaten, and pollute.

Yeah, I realized a bit too late after I put the metroplex in. I was originally just going to mix it with food but realized I needed Focus. So I dosed a bit into the tank. I looked it up, people have done it without much problem, but I probably won't do that again.

Back