Reef nutrition

Quarantine Tank

So while my tank is cycling I have a chance to setup a QT. Just wondering if it's ok to use a nano cube type of tank for a QT. Minimum of 10 gallons should be good?

10g is fine depending upon what you're quarantining. If its a tang, then no. If its some corals or something like a clown fish, sure.

In fact what I would do is keep a sponge in your sump, and the nano cube empty until you need it, toss in the sponge do a small water change from your tank into the nano cube and you're set.

sfsuphysics said:
10g is fine depending upon what you're quarantining. If its a tang, then no. If its some corals or something like a clown fish, sure.

In fact what I would do is keep a sponge in your sump, and the nano cube empty until you need it, toss in the sponge do a small water change from your tank into the nano cube and you're set.

I'll probably need something bigger than 10 gallons. I'm going FOWLR and plan on getting some bigger aggressive fish. What kind of sponges are you guys using? So basically put a sponge in the sump and get water from the tank into the QT or premixed from my barrel?

The garden variety sponge filter.

As someone who cannot QT everything that goes into a tank, I applaud you efforts, it ain't easy cleaning stuff out. If you want to kick ass at having clean fish go into your display, how about setting up a nice little 55g in an out of the way area to QT all incoming fish, once everything is done you won't need it and can sell it ;) . Why 55g? It has to be the most hated tank in the area currently, and you can pick up a setup for a song on craigslist (~$100). As someone who buys fish for established tanks all the time I envy anyone that can QT fish, that said, sadly I don't want to go any further with the lecture as I'm just a parrot at that point ;)

55 gallon is too big. I was thinking of a nano cube type of tank that I can put in my son's room. I'm broke too so I don't want to spend more than $75 for the complete QT setup. :((

I've got a 20L and a 29 lying around, they are both drilled... Trade you a center fin from a 2+1 setup, has to be future fins though :D j/k PM me if you're interested :)

tuberider said:
I've got a 20L and a 29 lying around, they are both drilled... Trade you a center fin from a 2+1 setup, has to be future fins though :D j/k PM me if you're interested :)

Thanks Jeremy for the offer but I'm looking for something that doesn't require plumbing. :).

Speaking of 2 + 1 my 5'11" 2 + 1 setup with bamboo side fins is shaped. Just waiting for the glass job now. 8)

Just in time for the the winter slabs? :D

I'll let you know when we've got bars around here, you'll love the beaches in town here during the transition, they win the pound for pound award for sure. Chest high and the worst beating of your life, but worth it :)

BTW I have a 15h if you want it, it's not drilled, plus I have a few skimmer lying around as well as some powerheads ;)

tuberider said:
Just in time for the the winter slabs? :D

I'll let you know when we've got bars around here, you'll love the beaches in town here during the transition, they win the pound for pound award for sure. Chest high and the worst beating of your life, but worth it :)

BTW I have a 15h if you want it, it's not drilled, plus I have a few skimmer lying around as well as some powerheads ;)

Hey Jeremy, is it glass or acrylic. If it's acrylic I'll take it.

I've been to Montara on some chest/shoulder high days. Nice steep drops. Makes you think if you should back out. But you gotta be quick on your feet cause those waves are fast. Just like mini OB. :)

I have a 20g acrylic you could borrow... I bet I could bring it to the meeting (if how I get there has space)

My tank isn't lost, no need to put it on the Milk carton as of yet :lol:

Just not sure if Rich has the room for 3 and a tank :D

Back