Jestersix

Red Sea magnesium testing issue

that's correct, no dosing
30% every 7-14 days
natural sea water

See that’s what’s sketchy. During that 7 day time span. Elements are used. In my tank it uses .3 alk daily. So in a week if I didn’t dose my alk would drop 2.1! Or coral growth would slow down. If I did a water change to replenish it. That would be a huge jump and upset everything. Assuming a water change can even bring it up that high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See that’s what’s sketchy. During that 7 day time span. Elements are used. In my tank it uses .3 alk daily. So in a week if I didn’t dose my alk would drop 2.1! Or coral growth would slow down. If I did a water change to replenish it. That would be a huge jump and upset everything. Assuming a water change can even bring it up that high.

That seems like a lot from the pictures I have seen of your tank.
Are you running a lot of vodka dosing, big chaeto, or something?

There is a lot to be said for the Erin-System.
I have seen it, and there is temptation to do it that way.

It is not just big water changes though.
It is also a LARGE system, and one that is really not that heavily stocked.
Plus, it is fairly balanced, not a wall of Acros.
And different things in different tanks.

There is a lot to be said for the Erin-System.
I have seen it, and there is temptation to do it that way.

It is not just big water changes though.
It is also a LARGE system, and one that is really not that heavily stocked.
Plus, it is fairly balanced, not a wall of Acros.
And different things in different tanks.

Yeah I understand it works for people. I’ve met a lot of people who do it with big beautiful tanks. I’m just afraid to try it. Either it will weekly keep going down with all elements. Or will be replenished all at once every week. And I feel neither is stable.

Stability is key. But what does stability really mean!?!

For me, it means an environment that the corals have grown accustom to. Doesn’t matter that environment has very small changes in all elements or big changes in a slow steady cycle, as long the changes are steady, the coral will adapt.

Think of the corals in the intertidal regions, they are exposed to air and strong sun for long periods of time, but they still thrive. We think of corals as these fragile thing that will die at the smallest change in their environment. But they can be very hardy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
3599A0DD-5EC0-4DFA-ACD6-33ABFF357683-13322-00000C117CB225A7.jpeg

Stability is key. But what does stability really mean!?!

For me, it means an environment that the corals have grown accustom to. Doesn’t matter that environment has very small changes in all elements or big changes in a slow steady cycle, as long the changes are steady, the coral will adapt.

Think of the corals in the intertidal regions, they are exposed to air and strong sun for long periods of time, but they still thrive. We think of corals as these fragile thing that will die at the smallest change in their environment. But they can be very hardy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProView attachment 10612
I love this point. Except in a reef tank we’ve all experienced delicate corals that die before they grow accustomed to the ebb and flow of our tanks. And it makes sense, we are attempting to simulate their natural environment in such a tiny microcosm where a small change can mean a big swing. Meanwhile the ocean provides such a large margin of error. That being said, it’s fascinating when some reefers have beautiful 10 year old tanks that defy conventional reefkeeping (i.e no dosing, no water changes, etc)

Back