got ethical husbandry?

Reef Octopus Blade Powerhead?

nanoguy

Supporting Member
Came across this on YT today. This was unveiled at MACNA 2019. Looks interesting, but my search for info on it turned up nothing. I like the concept of being able to control each side independently. I'm curious to why it's taking so long for it to hit the market.

Looks fun.
But also sounds like a lot of GPH for a small device, which means high RPM, which means NOISE.
Not at first, but as soon as a bit of crud unbalances things....

Looks fun.
But also sounds like a lot of GPH for a small device, which means high RPM, which means NOISE.
Not at first, but as soon as a bit of crud unbalances things....
Yeah...over 2000 GPH each side. I'm curious to what the hold up is. According to this article (https://reefs.com/2019/10/20/macna-2019-orlando-coverage-reef-octopus-octo-blade/), it was scheduled for release in the first quarter of 2020. Hopefully, they are working out the kinks found during their final testing phase to give us reefers a better product!

Could be Covid delays. Could be big problems found during Beta testing. Could be patent lawsuits. No way to tell.

The Ice Cap Gyre is already out there, and seems to be a bit of a dud in the market, so it would not take too many problems before management decides to kill the project.

Could be Covid delays. Could be big problems found during Beta testing. Could be patent lawsuits. No way to tell.

The Ice Cap Gyre is already out there, and seems to be a bit of a dud in the market, so it would not take too many problems before management decides to kill the project.
and a few years before Icecap was Maxspect.

The IceCap 2K Gyre uses officially licensed technology by Maxspect, creators of the original Gyre pump...

IIRC Maxspect holds the patents to some design aspect of it maybe the long vertical blades? But I'm just guessing as patents in itself is a bit of a questionably sketchy field, Icecap needed to license it to bring to market, but they did bring out a more "affordable" version, I have a couple of these and they're fine as far as a pump I guess... it really is hard to say since at MACNA like demos with the glowing balls and stuff they tend to be in an empty tank to show case what it can do. Then Maxspect rereleased (rebranded?) in the "Jump" line of parts (they literally called everything "Jump", gyre pumps, return pumps, skimmers, LED). Red Sea released a gyre type pump, and IIRC Coralvue is the US distributor for all those brands including Reef Octopus so maybe it's a matter of an overly saturated market for a so-so pump? That doesn't even account for the knockoffs out there like Jebao. Heck I think one of the smaller ones (Icecap maybe?) you can put a "plug" on the other side of one and effectively make this exact pump with only one bladed side.

IIRC Maxspect holds the patents to some design aspect of it maybe the long vertical blades? But I'm just guessing as patents in itself is a bit of a questionably sketchy field, Icecap needed to license it to bring to market, but they did bring out a more "affordable" version, I have a couple of these and they're fine as far as a pump I guess... it really is hard to say since at MACNA like demos with the glowing balls and stuff they tend to be in an empty tank to show case what it can do. Then Maxspect rereleased (rebranded?) in the "Jump" line of parts (they literally called everything "Jump", gyre pumps, return pumps, skimmers, LED). Red Sea released a gyre type pump, and IIRC Coralvue is the US distributor for all those brands including Reef Octopus so maybe it's a matter of an overly saturated market for a so-so pump? That doesn't even account for the knockoffs out there like Jebao. Heck I think one of the smaller ones (Icecap maybe?) you can put a "plug" on the other side of one and effectively make this exact pump with only one bladed side.
added to the fact they're all made at the same factory.

I reached out to the company inquiring about a potential release date. They responded back saying they “don't have plan to release the Blade at recently schedule . Once we have plan , we will let you know.” Doesn’t sound like it’s going to hit the retail market anytime soon.

Back