Our mission

Reflector/Pendant suggestions

So I have everything I need for building my upgraded lighting on the 120 Display. I've got two Icecap 400W ballast (30" deep tank), Mogul Sockets, Brackets, two T5 Kits w/ reflectors with Icecap Ballast, 4 PFO Blue LED's.... as well as the aluminum framing and rivets to build the frame. What I do not have are reflectors for the MH's.

I had ordered two 24" PFO reflectors but they have now been discontinued and MD credited my money back. I am not going to be spending 100-200 bucks per reflector here so that leaves me with the PFO and Spiderlights that I know of. Is one considered better than the other? Are there any other brands out there I should look at? Is there a place locally (one of our sponsors maybe) that I should buy from? What are your thoughts?

I would contact Mike. He in the Northcoast reef club and is selling some used luminarc minis for a great price.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1581529

I got ahold of Mike and it turns out that his used ones will not accomadate 400w SE bulbs and the new ones that would have already sold. So back to square one....

To clarify I am looking for suggestions on and resource suggestions on buying two reflectors/Pendants for the new lighting I am building for my 120g Display. This tank is 18" wide and 48" long so they need to be able to fit in that footprint. I have two 400w Icecap ballast... going the 400w route because my tank is 30" deep. I'm interested in good condition used or below average retail new... Unsure as to which pendants would be best for me. Looking for any personal experiences here. Any suggestions or resouces out there you would suggest?

Jeff depending on your price point Pacific Garden Supply in San Rafael is the company that makes luminarcs. I bought mine directly from them and yes you can use then for 400W bulbs. You will get way more efficiency out of your bulbs with them or something similar then you will out of spider reflectors or plain old polished aluminum.

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=6523.msg84460#msg84460 date=1235586288]
Oh and BTW my tank is 28" tall and 60" long and I am using 2 400w bulbs and getting possibly even too much light.
[/quote]

I hear you on this... I've been back in forth between the 250w and 400w's but I do intend to keep a few clams down at the sand level and what i've been able to gather so far tells me that 250w may make it difficult to keep clams. My Display tank will be all high light SPS anyways. I have good lower light spots in my frag tank for keeping my chalices and such.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=6523.msg84487#msg84487 date=1235587913]
I keep a couple clams on the bottom of my 24" tall tank (no sand bed).. there's enough light.

[/quote]

But if you had to drop them another 6"? The sand bed in my Display is mostly aesthetic... very thin. The bottom is often exposed.

I keep a DSB in my refugium about 8"

[quote author=zambavi link=topic=6523.msg84490#msg84490 date=1235588026]
[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=6523.msg84487#msg84487 date=1235587913]
I keep a couple clams on the bottom of my 24" tall tank (no sand bed).. there's enough light.
[/quote]
But if you had to drop them another 6"? The sand bed in my Display is mostly aesthetic... very thin. The bottom is often exposed.

I keep a DSB in my refugium about 8"
[/quote]
another 6" probably wouldn't worry either.

I don't think they'd be too much, but on the other hand regardless of what you hear I don't think they're needed either, lots of people get advice on how much light you "need" not really taking into account you most likely don't need corals scattered everywhere in the tank to have really high light.

You have the equipment, so I'd stick with it, I would however make my photoperiod for the halides low, maybe 5 hours, 6 at the most. Then let T5s light up the tank for the rest of the "daylight" days. Might even stagger the on-times of the bulbs as well.

My current lighting schedule for this tank is...

12pm to 12am - two VHO 110w Actinics (12 hours)
250w MH 20k Left On at 5pm Off at 11pm (6 hours)
250w MH 20k Right On at 5:30pm Off at 11:30pm (6 hours)
PFO LED's running from 12am to 12pm (12 Hours)

With the move to the new lighting I have, my thought is...

12pm to 12am - two T5 54w Actinics [Giesemann Actinic+ bulb and Pure Actinic bulb] (12 hours)
400w MH 14k Left On at 6pm off at 11pm (5 hours)
400w MH 14k Right On at 6:30pm off at 11:30pm (5 hours)
PFO LED's running from 12am to 12pm (12 Hours)

That is pretty close to my schedule

T-5's 1:30 pm -10pm (same bulbs as you are looking at)
400W MH 2:15 on - 8:30 off (20k radium)
400W MH 3:00 on - 9:15 off (20K radium)
Moonlight LED's 10pm-9am (4 blue/2 white intensity based on lunar cycle)

i am thinking of dropping my MH's down to 5 hrs each staggered

Back