got ethical husbandry?

Regular bandsaw

The saws used foe corals are the equivalent of a tile or glass saw, in other words a saw that is designed to saw with water present for cooling, something semi waterproof obviously. And as @coralreefer said you need a diamond blade. Even diamond blades seem to dull really quickly (they only seem to be good for the first five uses IME and then they’re not great tools but get the job done for another 200-400 uses until the blade snaps altogether). If someone can suggest something better than a tile saw please let me know, I’m really unhappy with my Griffin.

Even if you get a diamond blade for your band saw the blade would wear out after the first use. Without water for lubrication and cooling those blades turn useless fast.

As others have said, diamond blade needed. And that's the biggest difference between cutting wood and cutting coral, with wood you have teeth and are ripping through the material, with corals and a diamond saw you are quite literally sanding/grinding away. Could you replace the wood blade with a diamond, sure... but ^^^ no water and you'll be quickly going through the blade, and wood saws are typically not setup for water cooling. So long story short... no it's no good for cutting coral.

@Chromis what is it you're unhappy with? If a tilesaw is too much surface area for you, might want to look into a ring saw, they're used for cutting glass, so definitely are setup to be wet ready.

You could if you get creative about the water. Snag a diamond bandsaw blade the size of your saw. A toms aqua lifter dripping saltwater over the blade will suffice but will probably be very messy but in a pinch I can see myself using this setup if it was available to me.

I've used a tile saw to cut some rocks I found. This tile saw didnt have a resivor for water. I just rigged up an empty milk just with some tubing that I tied to slow flow. Much like drip acclimation.

Back