Reef nutrition

RODI Canister Seals

So Brandie was grabbing a trash back from under our sink and lo and behold, there was a leak. After removing everything from under the sink, it turns out that the seals for the canisters the hold the media are leaking water. For the meantime, we've shut off our RODI system until we have replacement seals. Are any of you aware of any LFS's that carry this or do any of you happen to carry these on hand that we could buy off?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. :)

Are you talking the o-ring on the clear canister filter housing? You can pick those up at Home Depot or Lowes usually.

~Charlie

Are all the housings leaking at the seal, or just one housing?

Sometimes a small piece of debris gets on the o-ring, or in the crevice that the o-ring is seated in. Try removing the o-ring and cleaning out both the o-ring and the housing thoroughly before re-installing.

Some people swear by the white silicon lubricant, but I've never found it to be helpful in stopping a leak. It's probably more useful to prevent the o-ring from cracking in the long run.

Back in the day I had a terrible (cheap) RO/DI system that would persistently leak at one particular canister housing. I ended up replacing that housing completely to stop the leak.

Yeah, it's leaking at the seal. The RODI system is not new and it's (probably) using the original o-rings it came with. When we first cleaned out the system and installed the new media, we had already noticed that the o-rings probably needed to be replaced. The white silicon lubricant is used to retain the life of the o-ring so that it doesn't dry out over time; it's definitely worth putting on. :)

I use a Vaseline because I'm too lazy/cheap to buy the grease. If you can't find an o-ring between now and tomorrow AM let me know. I have an extra canister or two that I can pull the o-ring out of and bring with me on Saturday. Between Home Depot, Lowes, and OSH you should be able to come up with one I would think.

Yeah, I don't think I'll have a chance today to pick up the o-ring but like you said, I feel pretty confident in finding those o-rings at one of those stores. Thanks for the offer and the lead!

lattehiatus said:
Back in the day I had a terrible (cheap) RO/DI system that would persistently leak at one particular canister housing. I ended up replacing that housing completely to stop the leak.

Forgot to mention that I did replace the o-rings on the housings for this RO/DI system, and it was still leaking. It's been a long time so my memory is foggy, but IIRC the o-rings from Home Depot were slightly different in the diameter of the material - it worked for a time, but wasn't a long term solution.

Just thought I'd share my own frustrations and hope that it helps. Best of luck!

lattehiatus said:
lattehiatus said:

Forgot to mention that I did replace the o-rings on the housings for this RO/DI system, and it was still leaking. It's been a long time so my memory is foggy, but IIRC the o-rings from Home Depot were slightly different in the diameter of the material - it worked for a time, but wasn't a long term solution.

Just thought I'd share my own frustrations and hope that it helps. Best of luck!
Thanks for sharing that!

www.allorings.com is awesome.

Be careful, there are tons of sizes out on the market now and many are not compatible with each other. The off the shelve brands tend to be off sized from what we buy via the aquarium community

BAYMAC said:
www.allorings.com is awesome.

Be careful, there are tons of sizes out on the market now and many are not compatible with each other. The off the shelve brands tend to be off sized from what we buy via the aquarium community

Awesome, thanks, Gresham!

Back