got ethical husbandry?

RODI Float Valve that doesn't need to be drilled?

kinetic

Supporting Member
I need a float valve that I can clip onto the side of my tank to fill from the RODI system. I have a bunch that require drilling a hole into the side of the thing that's being filled, but I just want something that can be held by a bracket instead.

I used to have one, but the valve wouldn't actually close.

I tried searching, but couldn't really find anything. Anyone know of a good one I can buy?

These are the only two I've found so far, but I think I have the Eshopps one, and it doesn't work (though mine is old and might just be faulty).

Have you all used any of these before?

Are you actually just looking for a bracket, based on your first post saying you already had ones you can use?

Do you know what dimensions the bracket would need to be?

Are you actually just looking for a bracket, based on your first post saying you already had ones you can use?

Do you know what dimensions the bracket would need to be?

The way my existing bracket works, it kind of mounts the flow valve vertically, so my valves I have that work, actually would be TOO tilted to work unfortunately.

The bracket is just going over a 1/2" rimless glass, so really doesn't have to be too accommodating. The shallower the better, but as long as I get the majority of the tank filled, I can watch it for the remaining time.

I guess maybe the better question is, how do you guys initially fill a tank with RODI? I usually just stick the RODI in, and set a timer and I keep going back to check. Once it's full, I'll finally mix in the salt. This is for a brand new tank, nothing in it yet. Having the float valve on a bracket is just an extra safe guard in case I miss a timer or something.

This is a true marriage saver and has prevented floods that have happened many times before using the "i'll check back in 2 hours" method. I have mine on a 7-day timer to automatically refill my ATO container twice a week because when it shuts off then back on, the default mode is fill.

Hmm I like this. When you say Bob, is that a specific person?
He is the guy who delivers all the water to Neptune aquatics and other lfs around the bay. If you want his number you can message me. His rates are super reasonable. Last time I used him it was $1 a gallon.

I guess maybe the better question is, how do you guys initially fill a tank with RODI? I usually just stick the RODI in, and set a timer and I keep going back to check. Once it's full, I'll finally mix in the salt. This is for a brand new tank, nothing in it yet. Having the float valve on a bracket is just an extra safe guard in case I miss a timer or something.
Fill large buckets, Costco storage container, or brute next to your empty tank with proper float valve (or electronic shutoff) so that it’s safe to slowly fill unattended. Mix in the salt. Then pump the water into your tank while you are standing there watching. Repeat until your tank is full.

Fill large buckets, Costco storage container, or brute next to your empty tank with proper float valve (or electronic shutoff) so that it’s safe to slowly fill unattended. Mix in the salt. Then pump the water into your tank while you are standing there watching. Repeat until your tank is full.

Is there a reason why you wouldn't let the salt mix in the tank itself? I've done this and I do get some residue on the glass, but it's easy to clean off.

Is there a reason why you wouldn't let the salt mix in the tank itself? I've done this and I do get some residue on the glass, but it's easy to clean off.
No it’s ok to do it that way if the tank is otherwise empty. If you have stuff in the tank it makes it harder to confidently mix in the salt I think.

I think most people put stuff in the tank before it’s completely full like sand, rock, sump stuff like equipment, rocks etc. Since everything displaces water if you put the water in before all the other stuff so you mix the salt in first it’s hard to guess how much is full and also you probably don’t have enough to run with the sump in line. Or you are adding less water knowing you’ll have to add more after.

Any approach can be made to work but I think doing it the way I suggested is easiest, most reproducible, and most drama-free. You want saltwater in your tank at a particular concentration, so add saltwater, rather than salt and water.

I bought this from Amazon just for the bracket. It comes with a float valve that according to the reviews, and also my experience, doesn’t work.

ZAOJIAO Auto-top-Off ATO Solution Auto Water Filler Adjustable Float Valve Mounting for Aquarium Sump https://a.co/d/iCL9RTz

Back