Cali Kid Corals

Salinity:Which method of measuring do you trust more

Thales

Past President
A just calibrated refractometer or a pinpoint salinity monitor that was calibrated with two different solutions?

I use a refractometer. I guess I can also use my beerkmaking hydrometer.

I'll never use a plastic float hydrometer again. Mine is so inaccurate. In restrospect, I loaned it to Panzer Tank the other week. It's now his, as far as I'm concerned.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses, but I'm not looking for opinions on which to choose. I have both and they give different readings even after they have both been calibrated. I am trying to decide which to trust.

Can someone bring their refractometer to the meeting? :D

i would tryst the refractometer calibrated with distilled water most. Electronic can be off, but physics cant be. a certain sg will bend the light at a certain angle, no changing that.

How much do your results differ?

Capesuba, a refractomere is probably one of the best investments I ever made in this hobby.

I'm surprised there's that much of a difference between the two! IMO, I'd try and borrow a few refractometers, calibrate them with RO/DI and then see how they compare. Do both the salinity probe and refractometer have temp compensations?

jedininja said:
i would tryst the refractometer calibrated with distilled water most. Electronic can be off, but physics cant be. a certain sg will bend the light at a certain angle, no changing that.

How much do your results differ?

Capesuba, a refractomere is probably one of the best investments I ever made in this hobby.

I concur on all statements.. prefer physics over electronics and our refractometer was one of the best investments to date :)

Back