Neptune Aquatics

Salt water shelf life

Edgar Sandoval

Supporting Member
Once again I'm new to this hobby. I bought 10 gallons of prepaid saltwater from my local fish store about 6 days ago and I was wondering if I can still use it to do a water change? Does it go bad if kept on water jugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE="Newjack, post: 282936, member: 10116"How long do you think it sat at the fish store before you bought it.[/QUOTE]

And before that it sat in the ocean for thousands and thousands of years.

[QUOTE="Newjack, post: 282936, member: 10116"How long do you think it sat at the fish store before you bought it.

And before that it sat in the ocean for thousands and thousands of years.[/QUOTE]
I don't know if you could really say it was "sitting". At least in the ocean there was plenty of water movement. At the store it may not have had much movement. If you want to store your saltwater it's best to have a pump in it to keep it moving so it doesn't become stagnant.

I will throw my opinion out there as well : Not enough information!

Yes, if there are organics, you must use it quickly, or you lose the benefit and end up with a bit of ammonia.

Raw sea water has organics.
Some salt mixes have organics.
Some salt mixes do not.
The most widely used mix (Instant Ocean regular) does not.

SO: What type of water did you get? It can vary by store.

I will throw my opinion out there as well : Not enough information!

Yes, if there are organics, you must use it quickly, or you lose the benefit and end up with a bit of ammonia.

Raw sea water has organics.
Some salt mixes have organics.
Some salt mixes do not.
The most widely used mix (Instant Ocean regular) does not.

SO: What type of water did you get? It can vary by store.

I got aquavitro salinity

I got aquavitro salinity

Took a quick peek at their site, and it does not mention things like "Vitamins" or "Amino Acids" only trace elements and such.
So probably nothing to rot.

However some of the Alk/Ca/etc numbers are enhanced.
So perhaps some precipitate issues.

I have never used it. To know for sure, you would have to ask Seachem.
Or just try it. Let a few gallons sit in a jug, and look at what forms in the bottom and on the sides.

Back