Neptune Aquatics

SCA tank reviews

Have you checked out waterbox? Unfortunately they don't have one exactly in the size you're looking for, but I think they have a 60x25x24 or a 48x20x22
Yeah, I've looked at waterbox. I have them in my list, but the 4820 is slightly narrower than what everyone is suggesting, and the 6025 is a bit bigger than I can handle. I actually was planning on a 60, but then I saw one in person with my wife and we both agreed (well, maybe I hesitantly agreed) it was going to be too massive for our current space.

That's a combination of haha and niiice.

Do you know which overflow that is? That looks great, props to him.

Beyond that, I still have a bunch of questions and thinking to do, but I'll leave that for my peninsula build thread and leave this one for SCA pics if anyone else has them.

My takeaway so far is they're at least passable, and I should still do my research. CDA (or just going for a stock Reefer) is certainly the more proven, "when it explodes all over my floor someone will respond" bet.

Overflow is Synergy Shadow V2. I have the same on my CDA. It’s quiet, but it’s made of injected plastic so it’s really thin. I would recommend going with Modular Marine or Exotic Marine Systems overflow instead which is made of cast acrylic.

On the LFS, if you order the CDA through the LFS you add 30% to those numbers. Still good to support LFS, but a significant difference at these total costs.
That really surprises me.
I talked to Neptunes when I was buying my tank years ago, and prices were almost identical. (Custom non-refundable pre-paid order)
Supposedly they get a better wholesale deal, plus cheaper shipping to a business, plus they do not mark up tanks because they hope to get future profit in fish/coral.
But I guess times change.

For other prices, it looks like CDA had a great deal on the standard 100G (sold out)
So yes, for normal pricing, ouch, 2X difference is a big deal.

There is one substantial difference:
CDA has a bottom eurobrace, and SCA does not. That roughly doubles the strength of the bottom joint, which has the highest pressure and risk of blowing out.

Very minor difference:
CDA has 1/2" glass, where SCA has 12mm glass, so 5% thinner.

I talked to Neptunes when I was buying my tank years ago, and prices were almost identical. (Custom non-refundable pre-paid order)
I don't want to say who I specifically got that information from, since it was in a 1:1 conversation with a LFS owner, but that 30% increase was directly from the LFS owner. They don't make money on them is my understanding, and they have to offset the overhead of being involved that way. It's later made up for through livestock discounts, which certainly can add up as well.

In long term horizons it probably can cancel out, or be lost in the other spend, but for me I'm not sure which way I'll go.

I don't want to say who I specifically got that information from, since it was in a 1:1 conversation with a LFS owner, but that 30% increase was directly from the LFS owner. They don't make money on them is my understanding, and they have to offset the overhead of being involved that way. It's later made up for through livestock discounts, which certainly can add up as well.

In long term horizons it probably can cancel out, or be lost in the other spend, but for me I'm not sure which way I'll go.
Very interesting.
I totally believe you, so not arguing. I am just a bit confused on why they would have that large overhead.
I do remember some LFS owners complaining recently about customers that would order a tank then bail out, leaving them stuck with it.
Maybe that factors in now.
Who knows. But that 30% is certainly a big difference, so going direct makes a lot of sense.

Very interesting.
I totally believe you, so not arguing. I am just a bit confused on why they would have that large overhead.
I do remember some LFS owners complaining recently about customers that would order a tank then bail out, leaving them stuck with it.
Maybe that factors in now.
Who knows. But that 30% is certainly a big difference, so going direct makes a lot of sense.
Yeah, sucks for all involved. I'm fine supporting some middlemen who provide incremental value, but the trade offs get hard.

Thanks for the thoughts/info. I'm slowly progressing (I'm researching extruded AL stands in the other thread now).

Did you price it directly from CDA vs from an LFS for the same tank?
I would try that and check the price for the same tank through a CDA dealer like Neptune to compare. I think you will find that price to be very very close if not the same.

Was the LFS you talked to a CDA stocking dealer? Or someone who will special order the tank for you? The price differential may be a stocking dealer vs a special order store.

Also, if you buy your system through Robert at Neptune, you get a 20% off livestock card for a year to get your tank going. I have been a benefactor of that for sure! I am fuzzy of the details, but a high dollar tank like a CDA, sump, and light I think is what I purchased to get that since at the time Neptune wasn't doing stand construction and I had plans for the self built stand.

Last edited:
Out of respect for the conversation, I don't want to get into the details too much. If anyone really wants to know I can share over PM. Yes though, it's a CDA dealer. Also yes "It's later made up for through livestock discounts, which certainly can add up as well".

Again, I'm all for supporting LFS. In this particular thread I'm looking at the info on a different manufacturer (SCA) who I'd for sure be buying from remote. In my peninsula tank thread I was putting notes comparing the various options (SCA, CDA tank with or without stand, just getting a Reefer, ...). If I get a Reefer I'm for sure going to try to go through the LFS. If I get a CDA I might go either way. If I get a SCA I'd go direct, but for the a stand for the SCA tank I'll try and find someone local to source the parts or build it.

I should also note that all my info is based on wanting a non-standard order of a peninsula. If I was getting a tank and stand off the floor the trade offs are certainly different. Particularly because they'd likely have gotten it through a larger shipment and therefore discounted.

I would agree with some other peoples opinions above. IMO If this is your dream aquarium with a plan to have it in your home for years to come, I would buy the best possible aquarium. Over the long run the difference in price is minimal. I don’t know much about either company to give you a review.

Go with your gut after gathering all the information you are seeking.

It’s only money!

Good luck

I don’t have personal experience with SCA vs CDA, but since you mentioned Red Sea, I’ve been very happy with my Reefer 750, and Red Sea has continued to make real improvements to the line since then as well.

I don’t have personal experience with SCA vs CDA, but since you mentioned Red Sea, I’ve been very happy with my Reefer 750, and Red Sea has continued to make real improvements to the line since then as well.
I'm actually pretty happy with my Reefer 170, and the 500 peninsula would fit my needs well, it's just the stands don't pass the "fit in our living room style" test unfortunately.

Back