Jestersix

Scoly Question:

If you'd kept Scolys perhaps you can answer a question for me.....
The Scoly in the image was recently purchased and is acclimating nicely. It extends it's feeding tenticles entirely every night and is eating well. What I'm not seeing is any inflation of the Scoly. It still is the same size as when I bought it. I've cleared out room all around it but no inflation. What's the trick to see the nice, expanded, translucent Scolys that I've scene in the LFS's? Maybe I'm just being impatient. :|
P1000254.jpg

Is it being blown at by the jets because mine likes a indirect moderate current that does not ruffle it, otherwise it will not inflate fully.

John, you sure you are not thinking of two different type corals? This one always looks green and red, no? The tentacles are colorless when they are out but I would not call them clear.

John you may be thinking about Acanthophyllia deshayesiana. Those were commonly known as scolys, but are infact not actually Scolymia. What you have is a Scolymia australis.

iani said:
John you may be thinking about Acanthophyllia deshayesiana. Those were commonly known as scolys, but are infact not actually Scolymia. What you have is a Scolymia australis.
At the time they were a Scolymia (scientifically described as Scolymia and were correctly labeled as Scolymia). Saying commonly refereed to kinda infers that was a common name given to them which is not true. They were in fact Scolymia until they got reclassified :p

Kinda like when they removed Wellsophyllia and lumped them into Trachophyllia.

Well............I'm pretty sure that I've seen a coral nearly identical to the pictured scoly that inflated to 2 or 3 times it's normal size, usually sitting directly on the substrate. In their inflated state, you can see light through the translucent tissue. Does the coral pictured above have the abillity and tendency to inflate? You can see I'm really stuck on this inflating thing............ :)

yardartist said:
John, you sure you are not thinking of two different type corals? This one always looks green and red, no? The tentacles are colorless when they are out but I would not call them clear.
Since I've only seen the tentacles at night, they appear to be distributed evenly at the margin of the center circular section and the round donut shape. They extend a good 1/2" all around and appear to have little or now color. They appear slightly dark, like almost grey.

Also, the tissue has the look of being compacted with plenty of room to stretch out. If I see no change in a week or so, I'll take it off the pedestal and place it directly on the substrate. This is where I've usually seen LFS scolys inflated big time.

nudibranch said:
Is it being blown at by the jets because mine likes a indirect moderate current that does not ruffle it, otherwise it will not inflate fully.
I've got every direction of current known to man. During daylight hours, my MP40w's cycle through all of their modes in both sync and anti-sync since allowing them to be slaves and driven by the Apex controller. It's a moderate but consistent current. Not enough to blow the substrate around but enough to move detritus out and deliver food to all the livestock. Even my pulsating sinularia and xenia are at their most inflated and pulsing modes. Hey, even it that big 'ol clown donut doesn't inflate, I'm sure I can learn to like it! :p

This is what I'm talkin' about:

from Vivid online:
"Place the Australian Scoylmia in the sand bed or on an exposed rock along the bottom two-thirds of the aquarium where currents will be able to supply it with necessary nutrients and trace elements. It can expand to twice its normal size during the day, so leave 2"-3" between it and other corals

iani said:
I thought they were considered Cynarina sp before.

Not as I recall.

Indo-Pacific Scolymia is now officially recognized as Acanthophyllia deshayesiana
You know that coral we’ve been calling Scolymia for all these years? Well it turns out it’s not a Scolymia at all but a member of it’s own genus, Acanthophyllia. There has been confusion surrounding the true taxonomic identity of this coral for years and now the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is stepping in to help us make the decision. The meat coral aka button coral aka Scolymia coral will now be officially recognized as Acanthophyllia deshayesiana but since there are no CITES permits for this new designation, there will be a temporary suspension on the importation of this species until new permits can be issued with the proper designation. As far as we know, CORALidea is the only coral identification guide to already list Acanthophyllia as such but it will be a while before other in-print publications will have a chance to catch up. So tell your neighbours, tell your LFS, Indo-Pacific Scolymia is now Acanthophyllia deshayesiana
. We’ll be keeping an eye on the local stock of Acanthophyllia
to see how it is affected and we’ll let you know when the imports of the meat coral resume.

http://reefbuilders.com/2009/06/04/acanthophyllia-deshayesiana-indo-pacific-scolymia-officially-recognized/

Gresh,
I am pretty sure they used to be imported as Cynarina before the name change. I remember seeing them imported as a Cynarina sp.. They were just called Scolymia's (as most people knew them as such) in stores. Veron said it is a Cynarina lacrymalis, others used to call it Cynarina deshayesiana.

iani said:
Gresh,
I am pretty sure they used to be imported as Cynarina before the name change. I remember seeing them imported as a Cynarina sp.. They were just called Scolymia's (as most people knew them as such) in stores. Veron said it is a Cynarina lacrymalis, others used to call it Cynarina deshayesiana.

If you want to go way back they were all generically called meat, doughnut or tooth corals :D

iani said:
Gresh,

Some may have incorrectly been imported that way, that is not uncommon at all... did you read the article?

Coral reefer said:
I remember "meat" corals

But the CITES permit it is listed scientifically and always has been :) Yes Meat was and is still a common name for it, and several others :(

Note: The night image taken above was on i-auto mode (Intelligent Auto) with my "point ant shoot" Panasonic DMC-TS2. It's waterproof to 30 feet deep and takes reasonable macro shots. Very compact and cold and drop/shock resistant too. Has a nice silicone cover that protects the finish and extends the shock resistance.

Hey Gresh, great job on getting details on the Scoly or not issue. It's a very interesting coral and quite colorful. Here's a shot of it feeding a few hours after lights out.
Scolyfeeding.jpg

John that looks like the full night time extention and the first photo is the daytime. You are thinking of a different scoly that has ruffled edges and opens so full with its tenticles in that the tissue is see thru and extends way beyond its skeleton. Same name two great corals, even if they had an ugly meat name at one time.

You are correct. The one I'm thinking of has a very ragged skeleton and looks very sad and almost receding when it arrives at the LFS. They then will, eventually puff up like a balloon. I've got it straight now. BTW, great lover of life itself, I've come to admire and appreciate the bleeding apple and don't plan to trade it out even though I had different expectations. You should see it pop when the Reef Brite strip comes on. Yikes! I've changed my light schedule to make it two Super Actinics and one Reef Brite strip ONLY from 6 PM to 10 PM.

Back