High Tide Aquatics

Shoud I return his money?

???

I don't think I shipped a BM250 skimmer with bad pumps, cause I was using one of the pump as a temporary pump for my ER5-3. And before it was shipped to him I ran the skimmer on a vinegar tub with pumps on to clean it, and I didn't see any problem. Yes, there was starting problem but that is always the cause when using sicce pump.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1579513

While it was in his pocession he tested the skimmer in FW and it was running fine, but he started to have trouble when he moved it to a rubbermaid with liverocks. Then he started fixing it for 4 hours. Sound like he doesn't know what his is doing.

Should I return his money?

Hr tested it and it was working in FW so he can't say it was broken when he got it. That leads to the conclusion that HIS pump stopped working for some reason, opposed to you selling him a bad pump/skimmer. You still have the option of letting him return it to you and give him his money back (minus shipping if shipped of course) but that's your call. hth

It's a tough one. Locally, we know you're stand up guy. But this guy is publicly airing his dissatisfaction with this transaction.

I shipped a pump to Canada once, and UPS charged the buyer some kind of customs fee. Neither of us knew UPS charges that, so be both agreed to split the cost.

An option would be you guys go half on new pump. About $80? Dunno. Just throwing ideas out.

It was working when he got it. Putting the skimmer in the LR bin without a filter could cause heavy damage to the pump. Did he send you any picture of the impeller and inside of the pump? Some people just want free stuff so becareful.

If I was you, I would ask him to ship back the whole thing and return his $. Just call it's a lost. That's why I hate selling stuff on RC. Happen to me couple times. Really hate it..

It would have been no problem returning the money if he didn't make a bad impresssion of me in the bar forum and in other forms. When infact all he need do was just asked me to reply.

I'm positive the pump where good and were working, cause I tested it first before it was shipped to him. If I return the money I'll end up with a broken pump that he and his friend might have cause.

I agree that there is no reason for him to take it to a public forum to vent his frustrations. From the emails and correspondence with you, it seems like the pump is working and there were no issues.

We all know that you are an honest person and a standup guy.

Has he ever sent any photos of the pump and how it looks ? Or do you have photos of the items before he received them ?

It is a tough call.

I second on the photos. The Sicce pumps are notorious for becoming a bitch to start up depending upon the situation, personally mine only had start up issues a couple times. but yeah, have him show you the pumps, high resolution pictures that are clear including impellers and everything, maybe you can make some heads or tails of it.

Two things.... do you really care that he's bashing you, I mean, does other reefers opinions matter if built of false intel?

If you knew it was working when you sent it and he had it working at the start...end of story, he broke *his* skimmer.

So far reading the threads that he posted, it looks like you are the bad guy since he posted that you are not returning any of his calls etc... I would at least post something in RC explaining your side and requesting any pics. If he doesn't cooperate see if its just the impeller shaft that needs replacing if so, I would take the lost and agree to pay for one. If not then just have him ship it back and refund his money. This is good learning since I sell on RC too sometimes. I think I will take pics, etc.. before I sell something that needs shipping. I guess thats why I love Craigslist because the buyer sees before purchasing. Anyway, good luck on whatever occurs. Let us know how it turns out. ???

Perry, i think everyone know you and will back you up. But he did mentioned that he got it working. Whatever he did after that is his fault.

[quote author=xinumaster link=topic=6438.msg82584#msg82584 date=1235057908]
It would have been no problem returning the money if he didn't make a bad impresssion of me in the bar forum and in other forms. When infact all he need do was just asked me to reply.

I'm positive the pump where good and were working, cause I tested it first before it was shipped to him. If I return the money I'll end up with a broken pump that he and his friend might have cause.
[/quote]

Man reading a few of his other posts regarding skimmer I've come to the following conclusion (which might be wrong), but reading the time line about how things were posted publicly it's the only conclusion I could come up with.

He bought a skimmer a little over a week ago. He mentioned the other option is the MSX 250, I'm guessing he had a little buyer's remorse perhaps he read some messages that said the octos are just as good as the BM. He posts a message on the MSX forum about how to remove the shaft from the impeller, then a couple days later mentions he got screwed, which is where other posts pop up about a "paypaling 5 bucks for the shaft could have fixed everything" then goes on to talk about how both pumps are screwed. Sounds to me like he screwed up the pumps.

But eh, should have kept his crying and moaning to a minimum.

[quote author=drdoolittle link=topic=6438.msg82619#msg82619 date=1235065877]I agree with Ed. It worked upon arrival, plus that is the risk you take when you buy used.
Perry, i think everyone know you and will back you up. But he did mentioned that he got it working. Whatever he did after that is his fault.

[quote author=xinumaster link=topic=6438.msg82584#msg82584 date=1235057908]

[/quote]
I agree with Ed. It worked upon arrival and that's it. He needs to understand that is the risk you take when you buy used stuff. If you want to complain buy new.[/quote]

Hey Perry ... My 2 cents is that you're dealing with someone who's more interested in trying to garner sympathy by making a stink than solve a problem. There's no reason to call out someone on a local board, and while it's understandable that he's frustrated there are far better ways to deal with this. We've all bought or sold stuff with someone far away where there's problems but usually we work it out.

I might actually have an alternative solution for you as I'm possibly in the market for another skimmer. Could you PM me the details on the one you sold him, and if it's something I could use, maybe you could undo your transaction with this fellow. At least if I got it I could come bang on your door in person with any issues! :)

Robin

Wow, I think from now on, if I sell some piece of equipment, I'll videotape it working, then videotape me packing it in the box it will be sent in. Just to avoid this kind of thing!

V

Or just buy/ sell within the BAR member community. I would never use the RC community or Craigslist for any reef-related items. Too many flakes and scammers.

I think this is a wash.. and should just let it go. The guy is rattling an empty can, trying to get something new out of something that is used. If he wanted warrantee, he should have just bought it new. This is part of the risk we take by buying something used and without seeing it working first hand.

[quote author=drdoolittle link=topic=6438.msg82641#msg82641 date=1235070482]
I think this is a wash.. and should just let it go. The guy is rattling an empty can, trying to get something new out of something that is used. If he wanted warrantee, he should have just bought it new. This is part of the risk we take by buying something used and without seeing it working first hand.

[/quote]

Amen. Buying used is buyer beware, especially if you are buying sight unseen.

Back