Our mission

Shrimp doing something nasty at Neptune

So in case you can't figure it out, the shrimp is on the back of a sea hare, claw deep in it's anus looking for bits to eat. :Sp

It's probably eating the sea hare.... no joke.

My friend in Oakland has a far worse picture of a sea hare... it has bristle worms coming out of it's behind (while alive)

Once upon a time I added two peppermint shrimp to a cone snail exhibit in order to keep Aiptasia at bay. I assume the shrimp did something along these lines to the cone snail, because later that day I found two shrimp corpses.

Moral of the story: Do not f*** with cone snails.

I would be to, but I saw that episode of CSI Miami where they had to figure the cause of murder and it turned out to be a cone snail :)

Matt_Wandell said:
GreshamH said:
I'm so jealous you get to set up exhibits like that :)

Hey, all you need is a couple gallons and about $20 to buy the cone snail...

I've kept em in the past... but setting up a public display is a different story :)

I'm still jealous :D

kungfujoe said:
my peps just ate my sunset laptestrea
That's scary, did you run out of aptasia for them? I have a sunset leptastrea that's about 3" across and flurishing. I added 8 peps to the tank two weeks ago and I don't see any evidence (as yet) of nibbling. Hmmm. I REALLY like leptastrea too so I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for sharing your observation.

PS I've witnessed many instances of shrimp picking over the fresh excrement from a sea hare. Cleaners and Fire shrimp do the same. Like a gold miner panning for gold nuggets. EEEUUUUUUUUUUUU! :Sp

Pep's eating aiptasia is kind of hit and miss already. As long they get their own food they shouldn't nibble on coral. "shouldn't"

Erick said:
Pep's eating aiptasia is kind of hit and miss already. As long they get their own food they shouldn't nibble on coral. "shouldn't"

IF you get the right species of Pep (tons of species are called "peppermint" but only a few actually LOVE aptasia) they'll eat it every chance they get.

Mine haven't been eating them :( but I don't mind too much, only have a couple in the display and I kill them when I see them. I still like the shrimp.

You probably were sold a look a like. best bet with them if you can't ID them, is to buy the ORA ones :) When I was in wholesale our supplier would send a mixed bag and I would separate them. I could not tell you today what the difference is though.. Keith Redfield wrote a nice article on it years ago.

I read that camel shrimp are sometimes labeled peppermint but I can tell the difference between them. If there is another shrimp that looks closer to a peppermint shrimp then I may have been fooled. I blame Robert if I was :)

A camel shrimp is very different looking tbe what are called peppermint. I doubt Robert has ever brrn shown tbe difference nor do I not doubt most tbe club could do it. I can't :) I used to know the difference though.

I will find and post Keith's paper. He was my first boss in the wholesale side of MO.

It gets more complicated than that. L. wurdemanni has had four new species added and L. rathbunae has gained an additional species. See : L. wurdemanni and L. rathbunae reclassifications

There's a nice chart from the paper here:
Peppermint Shrimp Identification Chart

Two of my recently purchased peppermints are definitely L. wurdemanni. The original peppermint I have is still unidentified. It doesn't look much like any of those from the classification papers but does look rather like this picture:

lysmata_rathbunae_small.jpeg

I forgot about Andrew's paper. FWIW he goes by "Spawner" on the forums.

GreshamH said:
A camel shrimp is very different looking tbe what are called peppermint. I doubt Robert has ever brrn shown tbe difference nor do I not doubt most tbe club could do it. I can't :) I used to know the difference though.

I will find and post Keith's paper. He was my first boss in the wholesale side of MO.

I see both Camel and Peppermint shrimps every week at local wholesalers. I don't recall ever picking up any CS though. The difference between the two species are pretty apparent.

Back