Kessil

Skimmer Decision

I posted this on my tank thread but thought that it might get a better response if I gave it it's own thread.

I'm still looking for a longer term solution for a skimmer on my system. My ASM G-3 is not rated high enough for my volume and I'd like to stock a little on the heavy side with fish but still keep water quality for keeping/growing SPS. I have some fairly common size limitations in my sump/skimmer chamber with an available dimmension of about 11.5" by 17.5". So I've weeded through a ton of different skimmers that I don't think will work for me for a variety of reasons and have come down to 2-3 that I'm seriously looking at.

Head to Head I am looking at the ATI BM200 rated for 200g and the Deltec APF600 rated for 200g. The Deltec is about $100 more than the bubble master. ...for the same $100 more I could also get the ATI BM 250 which is rated for nearly 500g. So my questions are....

If it was you... Deltec APF600 or Bubble Master 200 or Bubble Master 250?
I know it's not likely but... could the BM250 be "TOO" much skim for my roughly 200g system?
Anyone here have experience with these guys that could give me some feedback?

On Tyler and his moms recommendation (Dolphin Pet Village) I purchased an Eshoppe 300 for my reef. I'm very happy w/ it regardless of its low price!

ATI are nice and simple designed things that just work perfectly. I have one coming from Mexico next week it almost spent a year collecting dust along with a RK1 and Wavemaster Pro that I sent for a fellow reefer but did not show up for the unit so they are coming back home.
I think Perry, xinumaster can tell you more on the BM250, he was selling one

[quote author=iani link=topic=6658.msg85915#msg85915 date=1236055961]
I would recommend the msx 250 or the octo extreme. Its basically the same as the BM for much less.
[/quote]

Ya.... both of these models have a 16" by 16" footprint so I can't even consider them.

[quote author=zambavi link=topic=6658.msg85841#msg85841 date=1236041801]
I have some fairly common size limitations in my sump/skimmer chamber with an available dimmension of about 11.5" by 17.5".
[/quote]

The three models I mentioned are the only ones I've found that will fit in my footprint and have the robust skimming I'm looking for.

Why not the msx 200 then?

or

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/Protein-Skimmers-MSX-Cones/c22_71/p241/MSX1S/product_info.html

or even
http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/Protein-Skimmers-MSX-Cones/c22_71/p242/MSX2S/product_info.html

[quote author=iani link=topic=6658.msg85922#msg85922 date=1236059287]
Why not the msx 200 then?

or

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/Protein-Skimmers-MSX-Cones/c22_71/p241/MSX1S/product_info.html

or even
http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/Protein-Skimmers-MSX-Cones/c22_71/p242/MSX2S/product_info.html
[/quote]

Well... I like the look of those... especially the MSX2S... I had previously ruled them out since they are both 11.75" by 16.5" I would be very nervous that they would not fit. my 11.5" measurement is exact.... not a fraction more left in room that direction. I'll go back and look at it to see if there would be a way to make that one work. It's not promising though.

The msx 200 is only rated for 175g at heavy bioload... I'm really looking for something that is 200 + rated at heavy bioload.

Its the just about the same skimmer as the BM 200. People say the MSX skimmers even have better contact time.

[quote author=iani link=topic=6658.msg85930#msg85930 date=1236060775]
Its the just about the same skimmer as the BM 200. People say the MSX skimmers even have better contact time.
[/quote]

Gotcha.... I agree with that. I'm thinking that to have a significant enough increase in efficiency to justify the money for a new skimmer I need to probably go to the BM 250 or MSX2S range of skimmers... The others i've been considering here are too close to the moded G-3 I'm running right now IMO. Great feedback so far... It's good to be able to bounce this off of others and hear the feedback... it's a good sanity check.

Are you trying to get a brand new one? I see the Bubble Master 200 list at $600 and the Deltec APF600 is around $800. I have not heard any complains from these 3 skimmers. If dollar is not matter, then either APF600 or BM250 will do just fine, IMO. I am also looking at the BM250, but don't have a budget at this time ... maybe after summer.

Back