Jestersix

So how do you know when a titanium heater dies?

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
You see it explode!

Ok explode is a little harsh, but I heard some pops, went downstairs to the breaker tripping, smelled that "expensive smell" but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary a little "singe" on the end of the titanium heater that looked like it was out of water for a bit too long. But then while watching the tank I heard the pops again and actually saw the rubber end caps of the heater just pop right off. WOW! Makes me wonder how much current was going through there that it tripped the breaker and what exactly was causing that current spike.

Gotta say too with all the different brands of titanium heaters I've used those rubber end bits is where all the points of failure have been, I mean sure the inline temperature controller would fail, but that's very easily bypassed. But always those rubber ends just poof, like WTF man why is that so common between all brands... well except my fatty 1000W heater, that tends to melt the outlet plug before it has a chance to explode :D

Either way, ran to Petco grabbed a couple 200 W heaters, should be fine. Just as an aside Petco has a neat little scam going on in that their website pricing does not reflect their in store pricing even when it is listed as "pick up at store today", granted I had my phone and they did an instant "price match" on it, but still makes you wonder how many people go in there to buy stuff that probably is on sale but they aren't getting a sale price, the heaters were 43% off the regular price!

Back