High Tide Aquatics

Something from our friends in the "new medications" department ...

As I'm glancing at the Saturday paper my kids have spread over the counter, I happen to see this article ... the first thought that occurs is "hmmm, neat", immediately followed by, "I wonder how they administer the vaccine ... it would be hard to find a needle tiny enough for a neon tetra or a trimma goby" :) !

Vaccine developed to save fish from deadly parasite
Scientists have shown that fish can be immunized against Ich, the 'white-spot' disease, but growing the parasite in large quantities for immunization use is problematic.

August 27, 2010|By Thomas H. Maugh II, Los Angeles TimesFish can be immunized against Ich, the dreaded "white-spot" disease that is the bane of home aquarists and commercial fish farmers, government scientists have shown. Although the team still has many obstacles to overcome, the study presented Friday at a Boston meeting of the American Chemical Society indicates for the first time that a protective vaccine is within reach.

Ichthyophthirius multifiliis, commonly known as Ich, is the most common protozoan parasite of fish. It is characterized by the appearance of white spots, about the size of salt or sugar granules, on the fishes' skin, and is especially common when fish are grown in crowded conditions. Symptoms include loss of appetite, rapid breathing, hiding or resting on the bottom of tanks or ponds, and rubbing or scratching against objects. The disease kills 50% to 100% of those infected.

I got a ton of needles, very tiny too, I've had blood taken that were larger than these. I tried them for kalk dosing (then later injecting hydrogen peroxide into aiptasia :D) they clog up a bit too much for my taste with kalk, however I wouldn't mind stabbing a fish with one if it needs it :D I would think holding the fish still is the problem, maybe lay them on a wet towel with another wet towel on top, then pop ... ich free.

Ichthyophthirius multifiliis is a freshwater malady, so no dice in our realm.

AFA "growing" the parasite, I'm sure they can gather enough parasites at your local Pet Club :D

... reeling from the punches ... OK, shoulda left the trimma off the list but got caught up in thinking of tiny fish ... off to treat the bruises from the punches now ... :Sp

Heh. Gresham and Jeremy share my brain (with Rich!) apparently...
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1899250

Back