SpectraPure Dual Media Reactor

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jellygeee, Aug 14, 2013.

  1. aqua-nut

    aqua-nut Supporting Member

    You got them right, Rudy.

    Ball valves are cheaper and harder to get fine control over flow. Gate valves are more $$ and easier to fine tune.

    Which you use on a reactor manafold has a lot to do with how much money you want to spend and how much of a control freak you are. :)

    Most of the parts can be had at any hardware store. Irrigation supply houses are good and usually carry better quality parts. They're also available online -- US Plastics or Bulk Reef Supply, etc.
  2. rygh

    rygh Supporting Member

    About the only part that is hard to find is a pipe thread to push-connect (mur-loc) type connector.
    Most reactors use 1/2 smooth tubing, so the normal RO fittings do not work.
    Your returns are usually standard PVC, with standard pipe fittings.

    Be a bit careful with gate valves. They are usually all plastic, but something the center screw that moves the gate is brass.
  3. Coral reefer

    Coral reefer President

    Most hardware stores have a fitting that works with PVC to soft tubing.
    Gate valve is with the wheel, it has more control over adjustments than a ball valve. Most people use ball valves tho.
  4. jellygeee

    jellygeee Guest

    Thanks for all the great information. Things are adding up now: hardwares, ballvalve, fittings, etc.
    Now it makes sense why some brand includes the ball valve connection in the reactor (i.e. vertex reactor in BRS). Has anyone used a vertex reactor (or others) that came with the ball valve and do you like it?

    Also, can you share a pic of how your T line is setup for multiple reactor connections? Sorry for all the questions. I'm not handy when it comes to plumbing and my sump space is limited, so it's hard for me to imagine an efficient plumbing design.
  5. Coral reefer

    Coral reefer President

    You can t off the main plumbing line multiple times, or tee off the flexible line that will feed your reactor. I do this to feed two brs reactors.
  6. bondolo

    bondolo Supporting Member


    Mine is located outside of my sump right next to the tank to make it easier to change media. The return line from the reactor is about 3gpm and is visible just below the fan. It is useful for adding a little more flow to dead spots. ;-)

    When I replumb I will use a straight T or 45º T rather than a 90º T to avoid loss of head pressure.
  7. jellygeee

    jellygeee Guest

    Thank you all for the explanations.
    Bondolo: thank you for the pic. Is that what you called a Y connector? Never seen that kind of joint before.

    OT: My friend gave me 2 unused chemipures (they are about 10 years old). Can I still use them?
  8. bondolo

    bondolo Supporting Member

    I don't know what it's called actually. They had a bin of them at Ace Hardware and it seemed like it would work. ;-)

Share This Page