Jestersix

SPS and flow

My SPS have great growth but all it's doing is puddling. It's just encrusting and not branching or growing up. I have a few that are growing up and branching but most just have a stick and have large encrusting (up to 3") base. I dunno if this is true but I've read that high flow can affect how sps grows with more flow making them encrust more to have a stronger base.

I am currently running (2) MP40W ES in reef crest mode (100%), TSM (90%), Lagoon (85%), and a night mode (45% constant). I use a WXM module on my Apex to control the different modes. Just want to get opinions if I should turn them down or just let the SPS do its thing.

Tank parameters below:

Alk 8.5 dkh
Calcium - 440ppm
Nitrate 5 - 10ppm
Phosphates .04 - .1
Mag - 1400ppm

Lights - (2) 250W MH with Ushio 14K's. Use to have Radiums.

Some Acros (if by SPS that is what you are referring to) puddle like crazy, some grow straight up without getting much of a foothold.

In the past I've mounted those that tend to puddle in fashions that keep them from growing vertically for extended periods by mounting them to pieces of rubble or the ends of Tonga branch rock, that's how I got my Paletta pink tip to take off quickly. Conversely, I make sure to mount up my stags, slimers and such very firmly since they really don't encrust much and have a tendency to get large and become unstable.

Bottom line let the SPS do their thing, if the polyps are getting tugged on and flapping around in between relaxing and extending you're good.

Back