Stupid question....

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Bruce Spiegelman, Mar 27, 2017.

  1. What do I need to put a spigot into a plastic barrel I use for RODI? And where's the best place to get such things? Is there a preferred size? And what does everyone use for a stand to get their barrels off the ground and high enough to use said spigot to put water into smaller containers?
  2. Flagg37

    Flagg37 Colorado member

    You need a uniseal of the size of pipe you want to use. That's the part that goes into the barrel. Then you just shove the pipe in with the valve on it.

    Here's how I did mine.
    Coral reefer likes this.
  3. What size did you use? And so you have to seal the pipe into the uniseal?
  4. Coral reefer

    Coral reefer President

    You can also connect w a real bulkhead on bottom if letting off ground. If not you can leave on ground and connect to a pump. Pump can mix salt, pull from fresh or salt barrel, and deliver into jugs or tank etc...
  5. Flagg37

    Flagg37 Colorado member

    I did 3/4" pipe. I built my stand for it so that the elbows would be about an inch above a 5 gallon bucket. Now when I do ttm or fill my 5 gallon jugs I can set them on the ground while they fill.
  6. Julius Chen

    Julius Chen Supporting Member

    Is bulkhead more reliable than uniseal long term?
  7. xcaret

    xcaret Supporting Member

    2x4 stand with plywood top. You can build it high enough so you can store the taller Salinity buckets underneath or some other equipment.

    I believe so.
  8. Flagg37

    Flagg37 Colorado member

    How well do abs bulkheads work for round surfaces though? The uniseal is made to work on round containers.
  9. xcaret

    xcaret Supporting Member

    They do well for pliable plastics; not so much for hard plastics unless flatten with a heat gun/source. For the water barrels he got, bulkhead will do fine; Uniseals might do the trick as well.
  10. So I should get bulkheads?
  11. Vhuang168

    Vhuang168 Supporting Member

    Depends on how soft the plastic is. If you can get the bulkhead to deform the plastic enough to get a good seal, then a bulkhead would be better.

    My barrels are on the harder side and I had uniseals on hand so I used those.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. What plumbing pieces besides the uniseal or bulkhead should I look for then? Vincent's seem to have multiple valves, etc.
  13. Vhuang168

    Vhuang168 Supporting Member

    I have an external pump that I use to move rodi from the rodi barrel to the sw mixing barrel. I also use the pump to mix the salt and recirculate the nsw.

    I'll be replumbing this soon. Just picked up a couple of used Reeflo Hammerheads. My spigots are also too high so I can only drain down to that level.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Coral reefer likes this.
  14. I just ordered two Uniseals. Is it better to use a little silicon on them before placing them?
  15. yellojello

    yellojello Supporting Member

    For the Uniseals, how far do you have to insert the pvc pipes? Can't be flush like bulkheads, therefore more difficult to drain everything out?
  16. Vhuang168

    Vhuang168 Supporting Member

    You push it all the way through. I have an elbow with a vertical pvc pipe pointed down towards the bottom of the barrel.

    Make sure you get the correct size hole saw for the uniseals. If not, it will leak.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. rygh

    rygh Supporting Member

    Ask yourself: Do you really need a hole?

    I do not have any, on RODI, salt mix, or salt exchange tanks.
    It is just one more thing to leak.
    You can put the pump in the barrel. You can use peristaltic pumps that will pull it out.
    You can reach in for water.
    livingwaterplanet likes this.
  18. Coral reefer

    Coral reefer President

    Pumps get nasty in the barrel fast for mixing or circulating sw. Inline is the way to go. I'll try to grab a pic of my setup later.
  19. Coral reefer

    Coral reefer President

    If you want to have a pump in line you want a valve on the way into the pump from each barrel, then a t, then into pump. Out of pump is the same basically. T, then valve for into sw barrel, and valve for other side of t w a hose for filling jugs or straight to tank etc...
    so 2 ts and 4 valves basically.
  20. Thanks. A picture would help.

Share This Page