Jestersix

Sulfur based nitrate reactors - Any insight?

I looked into it briefly but put any real decision on it till I actually need it. Right now my nitrates and phosphates are low to non existent to the tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If growing bacteria for N/P reduction are your thing, consider simple vinegar dosing.

Those reactors have some issues.
Difficult to control, tune flow, ramp up, tumbling, clogging, etc.

Vinegar (or Vodka) is basically the same concept, but sure seems simpler and more controllable.

Lack of issues with it is what seemed attractive. Here's what caught my attention:
"One of the reasons I am an advocate for sulfur based nitrate reactors, is that they allow for heavy feeding, yet still maintain a nearly un-detectable nitrate level. These units aren’t difficult to use, and there are more on the market now, than there has been in the past. Unlike bio-pellets and other nitrate removal medias, sulfur based nitrate reactors never require a media change, or the addition of a carbon source. You can literally set them up, and forget about them."

https://www.reefs.com/2016/05/25/feeding-entire-reef/

Last edited:
I've been using a H&S sulfur denitrator for awhile now. There's is the issue of clogging, dialing in the drip rate, & alk level falling. You will have to stay on top of alk by dosing more or Kalkwasser. I do still dose vinegar and vodka to make sure I get a diverse amount of bacteria. 0 nitrates as of a few days ago...and I have some big fish.

Back