Reef nutrition

Sundial snails wanted.

Best option tends to be to ask LFS when they get new shipments, or go help them acclimate a shipment :) that's how I have gotten mine, and Matt's, in the past.

I posted years back on this. The method is rather cool and I owe my friend Matt (soon to be member) all the credit. You super glue some fishing line with super glue to the snail and only allow him access to what you don't want around anymore :)

So what exactly do sundials eat? Do they eat those ugly brown palythoas? or just the pretty zoanthids? :D

As to the fishing line bit a stroke of genius! Just hope the snail isn't pre-pregnant and lays down eggs :D

Egg masses are super easy to find and kind rare to find from a sundial.

They'll eat all of them, paly and zoa. There is a crab that may be even better that eats them but I don't recommend that.

Oooh put me in line then I have one tank where I'm only trying to keep a couple leathers that are attached to rocks which are unfortunately covered in those brown and blue palythoas (the weedy kind not the cool kind).

I assume the snails diets are very specific and they'll starve to death if there's no zoa/palys left.

now I want one too, I can easily remove/protect my few wanted zoos - but those brown palys need to go! I have been slowly kalking them away, but I can't always see them before they pop back up.
Now find me something that eats brown mushrooms, and I will be a happy camper.

mushrooms? Matt found an answer for that as well. Heck, I need to get him on this forum so he can tell you.

It's an orange sea slug the spits out HCL and then sucks it back up along with the melted critter

I just did some poking around and IIRc it's a Berthellina sp. sea slug and they don't just eat mushrooms but plenty of other coral :( His only ate the mushrooms though... it came from the Sea of Cortez. There is no legal collection of them at the moment. When there is I will try them again.

Jon I'll call a local importer and have his guy keep an eye out for them. Max got some stuff in last night, I'll ask his guy to search them as well.

GreshamH said:
It's an orange sea slug the spits out HCL and then sucks it back up along with the melted critter

:D Not quite. The secretory glands are in the skin, usually on the back & along the sides. Side-gill slugs like Berthellina secrete the chemicals as a defense against predators. They don't use it to acquire food.

It's quite funny to see a fish scoop up then spit out one of these, kinda like someone biting into a too hot chile!

LeslieH said:
GreshamH said:

:D Not quite. The secretory glands are in the skin, usually on the back & along the sides. Side-gill slugs like Berthellina secrete the chemicals as a defense against predators. They don't use it to acquire food.

It's quite funny to see a fish scoop up then spit out one of these, kinda like someone biting into a too hot chile!

We watched one several times puke something out over a mushroom, liquefied it, then slurped it back up. While it may not be eating it, it sure removed them in short order :) It for sure came out of the mouth. We both thought the same thing, it's puking it's guts and dying. But nope, mushroom removed. I think Matt has pic's, I'll ask.

Back