Our mission

Tang police = ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life

I agree 100% Rich, hopefully there's some sort of model that's at work and it can be replicated, especially since it's such a pristine area.

There is no farming of corals in Australia, it's all wild harvest. They use TOC policies to keep it in check.

anathema said:
I'm confused as to what you mean by "framing".

If you mean farming, no, but otherwise I'm lost.

Well I saw this comment from Rich

Thales said:
Anyone have any examples of a marine ornamental properly managed harvest that is more that someone saying its properly managed? :D

To which you responded

anathema said:
Australia would be the candidate I would bring up.

To which I responded

Roc said:
As farming the corals, and the farming being beneficial?

*I have changed the framing to farming as that what I meant to say but my dyslexia gets in the way sometimes

I thought that Rich was asking about harvesting and to me that means farming, now if theres another way like Gresham pointed out later called wild harvest, I was just unaware

IMG_1358.jpg

There is no harvesting of coral in PNG. Make a new thread and I will reply in it about how the Aussies deal with coral collection :D This is the Tang Police Thread :lol:

The way I read "properly managed harvest" does not exclude wild harvesting of corals. Yes, I believe from what I have read, not first hand knowledge, that Australia has a well managed harvest and it is beneficial in general. If I'm wrong please let me know.

I actually fully support the wild harvest of corals, and strongly believe that in some places it is a much more environmentally sound practice than farming them. I also think that current wild harvest practices are needlessly wasteful and could definitely be improved. One of my "never gonna happen but would be nice" ideas would be to require that a part of every colonial coral harvested be left behind to regrow. Yes, I know that's a logistical nightmare, but it would be nice.

anathema said:
One of my "never gonna happen but would be nice" ideas would be to require that a part of every colonial coral harvested be left behind to regrow. Yes, I know that's a logistical nightmare, but it would be nice.

From what I've read in the past the ricordia harvesting off Florida is handled that way....

-Gregory

How so given they only collect single polyps with no substrate attached?

GreshamH said:
How so given they only collect single polyps with no substrate attached?

They don't collect all the polyps from the colony/grouping. They always leave some to regrow the group. Additionally, if the group only has a couple of polyps they bypass until a later date.

I'll look for the article I read will post it back here......

-Gregory

10:1 the article is from a certain lady that is now in jail for illegal collection and exportation of Ricordea florida. If it is, do not put any weight on that marketing piece as that is purely what it is and has zero actual substance.

That's not in the regs IIRC but rather maybe what some divers do on their own. Easily answered by checking the Florida regs for anyone that cares enough to look it up (I don't)

For shits and giggles I sent an email to the largest dealer in ricordea (on the collection/wholesale side). He said there is no reg requiring such an action as it could not be enforced. Some divers may practice that, and they should, but it's not a regulation.

G, my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that if the substrate is larger than a certain size (IIRC 1/2"X1/2") then it is not legal to "export from Florida". Haiti OTOH is different (and we know a little about that source and his permits), you can have a fist sized rock and it's OK. That's where it gets dicey, how do you tell... At a certain point, who's to say?

Yep, here we go with the same discussion (on and on), what a PITA gray area is, right? Things get mixed in with other things, garbageland, kittyland love center, Ricky's used shit, piss jugs, it all becomes a blurr....

That's who I spoke with J :lol:

I seem to remember the whole 1/2" deal not being true and none was actually allowed but it's been a while.... your right, it does get mixed up in garbageland, kittyland love center, etc :lol:

Back