Cali Kid Corals

Tank reseal recommmendation

popper

Supporting Member
Thr 10 footer has a bubble that the seller said never expanded jn the 7 years he had it setup. For me, in 2 weeks it grew. Any suggestion on a company to reseal it?

20240215_161136.jpg

I dunno a company that would do it for you. But if you wanted to do it yourself. I know of a thread where the guy documented everything. He’s in LA. I could find the thread for you if you’re interested. It’s a lot of work tho.

I just paid to dump a nice tank rather than replace a pane and reseal everything. Probably not worth it and I have never heard of a company that does it.
If they did it wouldn’t be cheap. Probably the difference in the price of glass vs a new tank. And maybe not even that because taking it apart is more work than building a new tank.

The only custom glass tank guy I've heard of "locally" was Keith Grandt up in Sac, but he stopped long ago. Worth an ask if he'd do a one time job.

Is it hard to reseal, or just hard to reseal and have it look nice? Couldn't worst case someone get a long piece (or pieces) of thin acrylic, bend it to 90°, and silicone the crap out of the edge, adding extra support?

Is it hard to reseal, or just hard to reseal and have it look nice? Couldn't worst case someone get a long piece (or pieces) of thin acrylic, bend it to 90°, and silicone the crap out of the edge, adding extra support?
No. Acrylic and glass don’t make a strong bond. It’s not a hard job. Lots of sweat equity. Then when you’re done. If not done properly. It will burst. High risk to reward

This is why I don’t recommend purchasing used tanks…
Especially large glass ones
I do understand the initial cost savings
But…warranty, piece of mind
With used tanks…every day is an adventure!

There was a place in san jose that resealed a tank of mine a long long time ago. I think it was called world marine?

Slap down more glass all along the inside edges, use to much silicone and maybe a touch of Pond foam and call it a day! Good to go! Big tank floods are just big tank fun waiting to happen!

Slap down more glass all along the inside edges, use to much silicone and maybe a touch of Pond foam and call it a day! Good to go! Big tank floods are just big tank fun waiting to happen!
Already has double eurobracs on top and single eurobrace at bottom. Thanks for suggesting.

Back