Our mission

Tank reseal recommmendation

This is why I don’t recommend purchasing used tanks…
Especially large glass ones
I do understand the initial cost savings
But…warranty, piece of mind
With used tanks…every day is an adventure!
Last tank and current tank are new. Previous 20+ tanks were used. None have a broken seam. This was unplanned and looks like a gift. And the seller seems legit.

I hope for a fix
I hope it holds
Advice was asked for...then given
It’s your tank
It’s your choice
If it fails, I hope the event is captured on video
Best fishes, happy reefing

Last tank and current tank are new. Previous 20+ tanks were used. None have a broken seam. This was unplanned and looks like a gift. And the seller seems legit.
I've had quite a few used tanks pop at the seam. I can't tell you how many I've had in the past, I broke down several LFS and 2 wholesalers lol

All glass or were some plexi ? And if plexi, what was the ratio. Just curious.
LFS were mainly glass, 20g, 40g breeders, 50g. There were some odd custom tanks we used for cichlid display tanks. Built for pallet racks.
Wholesalers - 100% acrylic.

I've only had 2 acrylic tanks take a crap on me in 20+ years, and they were beyond abused.

I'm finally free of all that stuff, took years to purge.

I've had quite a few used tanks pop at the seam. I can't tell you how many I've had in the past, I broke down several LFS and 2 wholesalers lol

LFS were mainly glass, 20g, 40g breeders, 50g. There were some odd custom tanks we used for cichlid display tanks. Built for pallet racks.
Wholesalers - 100% acrylic.

I've only had 2 acrylic tanks take a crap on me in 20+ years, and they were beyond abused.

I'm finally free of all that stuff, took years to purge.
Sounds like my next tank will be acrylic lol

I remember back in the day. People use to say up to 6’ long glass was fine anything over plexiglass was a must. Seems like the industry has gotten away from that rule.
I've got two at ~20 years old still going strong. Even with tons of halide UV for a good 10 years of that. Just really annoying to deal with this one type of coralline, can't let it get a foothold!
I was looking at an acrylic tank from Tenecor Aquariums. I saw their Mangum Aluminum Stands and fell in love with the Cobalt color. I had one of my glass tanks start separating at the front pane seam and I had to tear that down and rehome everything. Honestly almost made me want to call it quits on the hobby. But I keep thinking about getting a larger tank than my Max E 170 and really looking at acrylic versus glass.

I was looking at an acrylic tank from Tenecor Aquariums. I saw their Mangum Aluminum Stands and fell in love with the Cobalt color. I had one of my glass tanks start separating at the front pane seam and I had to tear that down and rehome everything. Honestly almost made me want to call it quits on the hobby. But I keep thinking about getting a larger tank than my Max E 170 and really looking at acrylic versus glass.
Apon has been running a 100 gallon made by that company for 20+ years

Thanks to @dswong01 for pointing out the bubble is between the bottom eurobrace and the bottom glass panel.

Therefore removing the bottom eurobrace and resealing it is easier than removing the front panel.

Wish me luck.

I went down this rabbit hole many years ago. What I gathered:

1. Silicone bonds to glass at a molecular level. Even when you have a seam separating, there is still a layer of silicone on both glass surfaces.

2. Silicone doesn't stick to itself (new silicone on previous silicone) as well as it sticks to glass. You have to grind away the surface of the previous seal on all surfaces.

From a pro "I won't do it professionally. If I were to do it on my own aquarium full of salt water, with my tools and experience... I would do every seam all around. Good chance to add a brace along that seam.

A lot of large glass aquariums are assembled in home so that's not the hard part.

The resurfacing is a lot of work by hand. Now if you can talk a glass shop into leasing their tools/shop to you after hours, you might save a lot of time and still be cheaper than a new aquarium.

A lot of large glass aquariums are assembled in home so that's not the hard part.

The resurfacing is a lot of work by hand. Now if you can talk a glass shop into leasing their tools/shop to you after hours, you might save a lot of time and still be cheaper than a new aquarium.

Time is money after all

Back